What's a Maverick?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Mad_Cow, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Kind of the Maverick of the 1980's!! :D

2. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    My nieghbor and his wife were up on thier roof early this morning, they used a step ladder to get up there, it fell over. So they were looking into one of my walled patios where my friend and 2 God Sons were working on my 73 with the 71 4 door on blocks next to it. He says Whats that, I say a maverick (The cars are stripped down almost unrecognisable) he says I had one of those. I tell "Thing 2" (youngest Godson) go get my extension ladder out of the garage and set it up for them. My neighbor says so what you doing restoring 2 cars or makeing 1 from 2? I say "Or 3" he laughs.

3. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    I have a plan for my 73 mav. No emblems or badges. The only chrome will be the front and rear bumpers, no door handles or locks. If someone walks up to me and says "Nice,Vega,Camaro,Mustang...ect" Im gonna say "Thanks" and move on. If anyone walks up to me and says "Nice Maverick" its lunch on me. Present company excluded....:)

Offer only valid for people under the age of 21 yrs.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I dont think you'll be buying many lunches.

I guarantee I have the only 3 year old in these parts that knows what a Maverick is. She did pick out a fast back Mustang last week and said it looked like our maverick. She knows the difference though. Thats more than some adults.LOL.

5. Streetdeacon

Streetdeacon Streetdeacon

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2dr.
    I am tring to teach my grand kids at a young age, (3-7) what a maverick is by giving them each a couple of hot wheels mavericks. I think the best one that has happened to me was at a car show about a year ago when a guy was checking out my car and walked around it a couple of times while I was sitting in a chair behind it and says to me," this is the nicest nova I have seen in a long time." I said thank you, but I didn't know that ford made a nova. He gave me a dirty look and said, what is it then? I told him it was a maverick and he replied, "Wow, I haven't seen one of those for a long time. I just smiled. It has the word ford across the front and the back of the car, but not Maverick. Usually I just get thumbs up or nice mav. It's all fun. :drive::tiphat:

6. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Yep my little one has all kind of Mav hot wheels. She races them with me on her track.

7. 464925

464925 Maverick 1973-Pure Muscle

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1973-Pure Muscle.
    Yeah.

The kids always told me nice Mustang. And their parents say, No its a Maverick.

Im from Mexico and the Maverick is more common than chevelle and camaro.

The older guys always have stories of crashes in theirs Mavs.

Maverick = My passion

Nice

8. Recrdholdr

Recrdholdr National Record Holder

Vehicle:
    I want a 70-73 Maverick
    If I'm completely honest. The first things that drew me to the Maverick were. 1, It was a small car you could get a factory V8 in. 2, It was a nice looking fast back car. and 3, Not every "A" hole had one.

9. Fordmaster169

Fordmaster169 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 MavPro Street Project, 1972 F-100 stepside 4X4, 2015 F150 4X4, 2ea 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab step sides
    The other day I was coming home from work and pulled up to a stoplight and a guy in a G8 pulls up next to me. I had the windows down and he says "Hey" and I look at him and he says "Is it fast?" and I say "NOPE" (250 I6 with a T5 behind it) The light turns green and he drops the hammer on the G8 and speeds away only to get about 3 blocks before he had the ol blue and red flashers behind him. I just cruised by giggling to myself.
    Same light about a month ago some kid leans out his window and yells "Nice Nova". I just think to myself what ever and drive on.
    There are a few around here but you don't see them often. Everybody around here knows me as the Maverick guy. I am about the only one that drives mine on a regular basis.
    I just sold my 73 4dr to a kid at work, when I signed the title over to him he had a smile from ear to ear. I ask him the next day how his drive home was and he told me that it was the best drive of his life. I am happy that it went to a good home.
    The best ones though are when I had my 71 and drag raced it all the time. I would go to a new track and every time someone would come up to me and ask what I thought I was going to do with "That". I always had one simple reply. "Well I am going to put you on the trailer and send you home with THIS". And then laugh and proceed to do just that.
    That's all for now but there are many many stories that I could go on and on about. It is the same for anyone who has owned Mavericks and Comets for very long. Its been 28 years and about 30 cars for me and am still in love with them. I need to get off here and get down to the shop to give my latest one, My 72 grabber some love.
    C-Ya

10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

and 4.....they were cheap.

11. youngcarguy

youngcarguy Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    in the two years i've had my car every one and there brother has came up to me and told me a story about a frind they knew who had a maverick but ive only met like 3 people who auctaly owned one

12. miguel

miguel Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    The other day I went to a smoke shop the dude inside asked me what year my "Mustang" was,so I corrected him by sayin it wus a maverick lmao

13. jncastell

jncastell Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber Clone
    :) Since I put all the Maverick badges on they don't ask what kind of car is that but they still ask who made it which is understandable since Ford didn't get put on until the end of its production.