What’s next?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by duanewigton, Sep 22, 2020.

1. duanewigton

duanewigton Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick Grabber
    I’m sure this has been an issue for some, but I can’t seem to find the answer when I’ve looked. I have a 1970 that I’m trying to drop a 302 in. I’ve had a 72 and a 75 in the past and haven’t had this problem. I’ve purchased hooker 6901’s and realized that there is no way they will fit without having to do a lot of everything. Anyone with a 70 that’s gone through the process of dropping a 302 with full length headers in that had the clearance issues I’m having? What have y’all done do make it fit? It does have power steering, and I also purchased the the drop down bracket. Is it easier to go with shorty headers? And still have to cut the shock towers? I’ve heard the 70 had a more narrow trans tunnel, but I didn’t think everything else was also. And info would be greatly appreciated.

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    You should not have to cut any on the shock towers, hopefully you have the correct frame brackets and are installed correctly. What motor /year are you putting in, what heads . I dont have a 70 so I will let others that have one and did it give you advice

3. duanewigton

duanewigton Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick Grabber
    They are factory frame mounts and engine mounts. The motor is a 92 Roller with Edelbrock heads. Maybe that could be the issue? I’m lost.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    did you try raising the engine on one side at a time?

5. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    5.0 w/Edelbrock heads and 6901's in my '70. Unbolt the motor and raise it a few inches. Push the engine over to the passenger side and install the driver's side first from underneath to clear the steering box. Push the engine towards the driver's side and install the passenger side header. Lower the engine and bolt it back in.

71gold, Shorty and Krazy Comet like this.