Wheels and speed

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by awannabegrabber, May 17, 2006.

1. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    I have 17X9.5 with custom 4.25 bs and running 275's with trimmed fender wells. Looks great but... If I could do over again I'd do 18X9 same BS. Follow my link to get a look at it.

2. awannabegrabber

awannabegrabber Always Learning

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick with a trim package
    My birthday is coming around and my parents asked the question, "what would i like to have.", I gave some serious thought about what you guys said, and i am strongly considering the cragar 441's,
    Front: 15 by 7 wide
    Rear: 15 by 8 wide with a 4 inch bs.

I just need some help with the front back spacing. Any Recomendations?

3. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    I do love the Soft 8s. It was these or the cragars, but i like to slotted wheel a little bit better. but if my parents get me either i will be thrilled.

All i have to do is buy the tires.

4. Bum's_Steer

Bum's_Steer Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2-dr. (Grabber clone) 1970 Maverick 2-dr.
    As far as a different tire size messing with your speedo readings, here's a good site to find out what the change will be with different size tires, plus tire dimensions, tread widths, etc. You can't look up stock tire size for any older than 1990, but if you know the stock size your car came with, or at least guess pretty close, you'll get a good idea.

Put the stock size tire your car came with in the top space, then the tire (or tires) you're thinking about runing in the lower area....click on calculate, and it will tell you the what actual speed is compared to what your speedo says it is.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit&reset=yes

5. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Back to the airshocks, You really need to dump them. If you want ride height, go for longer shackles. Most guys will tell you NO, but at least you are putting the pressure on a part of the car that is supposed to have it, not on the back seat (which is where those airshocks will poke through if you ever bust the bracket they are mounted to!)

Look at old threads, I have done both. I finally go my ride height by just putting on decent tires (255/60r15) and went back to stock shocks and actually, the shorter stock shackles. My dad didn't care if I dropped the front (I am 34, so he had no say in the matter :evilsmile ). The rear is up pretty nice with just the tires.

6. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I'm with Scoop...
    DO NOT put air shocks on a Mav.
    The shock mount to the floor of the car is very weak.
    I have broken them clean off with regular shocks.
    I can't imagine trusting them to the pressure air shocks will put.
    Dave

7. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    Well i have my airshocks on, and set at 100 psi. they the rear sets nice. I recieved my wheels yesterday. Keystone rally's, 15X7. I hope they fit.

I will post pics soon as i figure out my camera.

8. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    I do want to run an offset wheels like 15X7 front and 15X8 rear, but this is a daily driver for the time being. and i have though of how long the tires will last. and i decided to get the same size tires all the way around so that i can rotate them.

And the airshocks have been on my car for over 2 months and aslong as they are not at high pressure they seem to be doing fine. i check them everytime i check the oil so every couple of days, and there are no stress cracks in the front towers or the rear braces.

9. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    100 psi is "high pressure". I ran mine at 25 on the street, up to 50 max for showing off and lifting the rear in the driveway, but I never drove with them over 35psi. That pressure is constantly pushing between the springs and the back seat, so a good speedbump or other dip in the road and you may not get "warning cracks", just a shock or two POP!!! through the back seat.

I did like you and ran them for a while, but ran them at much lower pressure and replaced them when I could afford to. I ran them 2, maybe 3 years, but never at high pressure.

If I were you, I would at least lower the pressure to the minimum (25psi, I think), then put 1/2" or even 1" longer shackles on the springs to get the height you want. They are "mickey mouse" also, but not as dangerous as the air shocks. You can get them for $15 at AutoZone, and only takes half hour to swap them out. Keep the original shackles since you will probably want to put them back on in a couple of years, and they are more expensive to replace.

I speak from experience...I was you about 3 years ago. I have undone all of the shackles and air-shocks and went back to stock for better ride and safety.

10. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Another thing...if you are just "checking for stress cracks" and actually find them, what will you do then?

Those small plates where the shocks mount to the "floorboard" behind the rear seat are wimpy, but they are also a very important part of your suspension. If you mess them up, you will have a difficult time welding another chunk of metal to that thin floorboard sheetmetal and have any strength to handle the shocks in the future.

11. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    Ok. Good point. but 100 PSI is less than half of what they can with stand, and only lift the rear about 1/2 inch. But if you speak from experience, you know better. so i will tune them down. thanks for the help.

12. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    how thin are the metal braces in the rear?
    How can i make them stronger?

13. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    This is how high my car is with about 125 psi. It looks like alot more cause that tire is extremely low on pressure. IDK why it is but the wheel has a whole in it some were.

P1002374.jpg

14. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Even if the tire is low.....that is EXTREMELY "jacked-up". Way to high. It will throw off the geometry of your front suspension being that high. Definitely let it down.