Where do I mount this?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Apr 2, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    YEP, them's the pictures Rick sent me. The wife and I were both ROLLING :rofl2: :biglaugh:

Don, is that 2-3" forward of touching the back?

I have moved it around and 4-5" forward of touching the back "looks" the best, IMO. Then it sort of aims downward and doesn't look "quite" so imposing. I will get a better idea once I actually figure out where the carb will come up through the hood and where the hole needs to be cut.

I found a piece of aluminum plate that I will mount under my air cleaner, and make a "box" of sorts so that all the air coming in the scoop will be forced to the carb, and not into the engine bay. Really just want to experiment and see if "cold air induction" will make any difference on ETs.

Afterwards, I will probably never run it with this hood again at the track (unless I pick up 25-30 HP from cold air!) but will save it for St. Patty's Day parade, cruising the local car shows, or just any other time I want to be a poser and show off. Especially if I can drop the exhaust dumps, it will look and sound fast, but still be a grocery getter :D

2. igo1090

igo1090 Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 93 tbird tube car
    actually the improvement is about 1% hp for each degree drop. supposedly, theoretically. we didnt put a scoop on my son's mav. made a 2 snorkel carb cap & ran heating duct from the holes in the rad core on either side of the rad. only put it on at the track.

3. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    If you want a scoop to produce colder air, then why not go with an ice cream scoop?:biglaugh:

I'm sorry; I couldn't resist. :162: I read this post before anybody else and I had to really resist to keep from replying you should mount it on the hood.:90:

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    scooper, i just went and measured mine. that didn't sound right. you perverts. anyway 2" from the back of the hood. the scoop itself is about 35 1/2" in length.:)

5. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

Rick Book
    ... put it on the back like that and ricers will come talk to you...on the roof and you will get europeans come talk to you.. and on the hood... people will just laugh...hehhee

scott.. ( im guessing thats your name... Scott Cooper? )i agree with them... if it has it.. it should be fast.. but you have tqo options... put it on and discon the exhaust.. so it looks fast and sounds fast... or leave the make shift cowl for now.. and fis up the hood and scoop... and then work on making it an 11 second car...

i want a cowl hood... 2.5" rise... anyone have one? thanks

6. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Mine is only 30-1/2" from front of scoop to back of mount. I think it looks best (notice, I didn't say "looks good", just to prevent argument :tiphat: ) about 4" from the back, which is almost centered between the back of the hood and the point in the hood where it starts to angle downward.

Everybody, keep a sense of humor with me. I just wanted to try out something different...

So, for every degree drop, do I pick up 1% OF a HP, or increase my current HP by 1%? 1% of a HP would be 1 HP per 100 degrees drop, which wouldn't even cover the weight of the scoop being added to the car.

If it is 1% of my current HP per degree, then I would be picking up 100% more HP if I drop the temp by 100 degrees, so that doesn't sound right either. I am guessing under hood temps at the 180 degree engine running temp. Night time air temps here in the summer are around 70-80 degrees. So I am guessing a 100 degree drop in air temp, at least until it gets INTO the carb and manifold.

I am interested to test it out and see what "real world" numbers look like, if any change is noted at all.