Which coil springs should I buy?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by scooper77515, Jun 23, 2005.

1. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I stand corrected on that. In any case, it's not enough to require stiffer springs...;)

2. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Thanks TL,

It sounds like "one coil at a time" is the standard for cutting and testing.

When I cut, is this a perpendicular cut, or angled, or does it matter, as long as it is the same on both coils?

Can I cut 1/2 or 1/3 coil for precision, if needed?

3. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    You should cut it straight. The end you cut is what fits into the saddle on the upper control arm. There is a stop on the saddle that the end of the spring butts against. The other end of the spring is flat and receives the insulator. That end goes up into the shock tower. I would install the springs as you receive them. Bounce the car up and down and maybe even drive around the block to settle the suspension, then take some careful measurements. Take the springs out and cut 1/2 coil and repeat the process. That'll give you an idea how much a cut affects the height. Like TL says, it takes some trial and error. and it's a lot easier to take more out later than add some back in. I would stop cutting when the height is just a little higher than what you want and drive the car a couple hundred mile and see if the springs settle some. When you're all done you may need to check wheel alignment. Camber setting can be affected.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Thanks for all the help.

Is there a maximum amount of camber adjustment that can be made (I don't know the mechanics of allignment, just the theory)?

I don't want to move things so much that the camber cannot be dialed in.

5. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    You won't go beyond the adjustable range, but you could have some bump steer and tire wear if it gets too far out.

6. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Barry, check out the little number (1) under your name, Trader Rating...is that cool or what?

Got my springs today. They look great. Hopefully, I can install them soon.

Thanks for the transaction and the quick delivery.

Scott

7. PGARFDS

PGARFDS Need more room!

Vehicle:
    702dr, 2-72 302 Grabbers, 72 302 2dr., 72-200 2dr., 73Grabber, 74 2-dr, V8 4spd Stallion, & rusty Stallion

What is the rating on stock springs? I need to do something to the front of my stallion. I like the feel of heavier duty springs, but don't wan't to be excessive.

8. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Scooper, with what was said, you should be able to cut springs a little different on each side to level out car. Rear springs might be able to take to spring shop for some arching to level out the rear.

How long you going to be in Pittsburgh? Flying or driving? I hope to have the yellow drag "queen" running sometime in July!,? If you need anything in Pittsburgh, give me a holler

9. Max Power

Max Power Vintage Ford Mafia

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick, 1969 Mustang Sportsroof, 1970 Mustang Grande Project
    The factory springs have a range, depending on your engine, options and year. I believe a V8. big bumpered car with air probably has springs in the 400-450lb range.

I went with the 550lb Mustang springs, and sometime I wish I had gone with the 620lb springs, like I did on my Mustang.

10. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    This is a very old thread...I was in Pittsburg right after the 2005 Roundup. The wife and I drove up there.

I have recently found that the springs I bought were from JCWhitney and are considered "heavy duty" and lifted the car about 6". I had to cut quite a bit off to get the stance I have now, and they are nice and stiff.

I leveled the lean out by putting a 1" drop block on my rear passenger side, lowering it to match the low driver side, and it also ended up looking pretty good dropped down a bit.

The front pretty much leveled out after I did that.

11. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Just noticed the "year" Looked at the month but failed on the year! Sorry on that!

Oh well,,,,it's time for another trip back! Just do not do it this week with the US Open! Them there golfers are screwing everything up around here! Geez,, guys wearing funny looking clothes chasing balls around to hit,,,,,aaaa

12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have to admit, we stopped for a couple days in Pittsburg and I was quite impressed with how much it has cleaned up in the past 20 years. It was a very enjoyable place with lots of entertainment. We went up on that cliff overlooking the water across from town, and then at the bottom of the cliff where all the restaurants and fountains were.

Last time I was there, it was really dirty. This time I didn't even recognize it as being the same town(y)

13. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Now if I can just clean my act up!

14. PGARFDS

PGARFDS Need more room!

Vehicle:
    702dr, 2-72 302 Grabbers, 72 302 2dr., 72-200 2dr., 73Grabber, 74 2-dr, V8 4spd Stallion, & rusty Stallion

Thanks Max Power! I need to decide how much to go on the Stallion. So you would probably suggest at least 600 pounders for it?

In the far future I need to redo the front of my 73 Mach(Cleveland, A/C, FMX) it looks perfect for height, but it is so soft that it bottoms out all of the time on RR tracks, etc. It also has immensely tall shackles in the rear that need to go.

Steve

15. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    The ones I have were very tall and VERY stiff. I don't have a #lb rating for them, but they had half as many coils as my stock springs and were a good 4" taller. I only had to cut of 1.5 coils or so to drop it 6".

If I had the JCwhitney catalog, I could give you the part number, but when I go to their website, it keeps leading me off into truck and van parts...