Window tint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by boss9, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    for the cost of tint jobs today... its just worth it to have someone do it... i seen 75 bucks for 5 windows! its not worth the hassle! i did mine myself back in the day it was a pain but i was happy... i have to redo it but the only way i'd do it again is mirrored!!!!
    [​IMG]

btw its office building tint! back long ago they didn't have this type of tint sold at car tint shops.. you also can get titanium tint which is very close but its not as reflective. takes out more then 80% of incoming heat! :p

and yes its a major bust! triple violation! tint in front of the drives head, rear tint on rear window cuz there is no right hand side mirror and reflective material on car. :biglaugh:

2. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Collection of Mavericks and Comets
    Wow. It seems like we can't get a tint job for any less than $200 in OKLA. It's $150 if its a regular cab TRUCK.

3. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Check local laws.....

....if you care. I don't know the allowed specifics, but if you have tint at all in NC-there is an extra fee every year for your inspection sticker-$10-$15 I think. They use some type of light to check it.

Seth

4. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Crazy!
    We don't have inspections in Oklahoma (anymore). We had them, but they did away with them about 5 years ago. In fact, it is legal to tint windows with reflective tint, even on the top portion of the windshield.

5. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Mirror tint is not legal here plus it will bling the you know what out of the other drivers on a sunny day. Just dont get cheap tint because if you ever want to take it off, it comes off in flakes.

6. ladyeclectic79

ladyeclectic79 Veni, vidi, vici

Vehicle:
    A '73 and a '70 Maverick
    I haven't put it on a Mav (although I intend to) but:

The good: It really does make the car look good, even if you've got a kickass interior. Gives it a shade of mystery, or, something. ;)

The bad: You need to be patient when you put it on. Even one small bubble left over can magnify in size if allowed to bake in the sun (an unavoidable thing, unless you only drive it outside at night). Some colors look better than others too, so be careful which one you pick. It's up to you as certain shades go better with certain colors - basically personal preference, but do your research.

The ugly: If done badly, it can look AWFUL; you need to cut it just right around the windows and make sure you get all the bubbles out before it dries (or as many as you can). Also, once it starts to wear out you get the bubble effect from heat which, if you're at all anal about your car, can be screwball-annoying.

The tint can last many, MANY years if done well so don't go all ADD when doing it. Believe me, persistance and precision will pay off with this. :)

7. boss9

boss9 Member

Vehicle:
    77 4-door 250 I6
    The more I think about it and read the replies, I'm going to let a shop do it. They run specials occassionally, I've seen it as low as $99.00. But as with everything, you get what you pay for. I'll have to check out the laws. It's been awhile since I've messed with tint. I'm thinking of going as dark as allowed, might have to play with photoshop to see what reflective would look like. I see some "ricers" running around with color match reflective that looks mirrored at the bottom and fades up to regular tint. Who'd of thought window tint could pose so many questions ??

8. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Many state laws limit tint to 35%. I think that's what OKLA law is as well. I tint all my cars with 5% and have never had a problem, but we don't have inspections either. :rolleyes: Good Luck!

9. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    My Yellow car will be getting tint one of these days .... gonna let a pro do it ...

10. awannabegrabber

awannabegrabber Always Learning

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick with a trim package
    ok i can help you real quick. Find a kid in your neighborhood with a Ricer, if he has tints he probably did it him self, or he is a rich kid. offer him 10 bucks if you need to and he will save you a head ache. Just a thought. If not trial and error

11. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Same here...

..if california laws allow me:D