Woe... this suspension (barf)... how d'ya stabilize the car?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by whisky, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Yeah we kinda drifted into IRS setups that would work in a mav/comet that would be cost effective.Jury is still out on that.

2. 71GTComet

71GTComet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT(Sold) 1985 Ford SSP LTD
    just wondering if there is a readily available rear anti-sway bar for the mav/comets. and one thing i noticed that didnt get mentioned was when replacing all these suspension components that it would be good to use urethene bushings when possible.

3. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    There are kits for front and rear sway bars that fit the Maverick. To make these upgrades work at their best you may consider installing good subframe connectors. The unibody cars have a lot of flex along with sway so takng care of both problems will give the best results.

4. 71GTComet

71GTComet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT(Sold) 1985 Ford SSP LTD
    thank you, i was planning on installing some sub-frame connectors as well. consider this recipe and let me know how you think the car will handle: new shocks on all four corners, strut brace and monte carlo bar, larger front sway bar, rear sway bar, subframe connectors, a relatively simple roll bar (up to spec of course) and maybe taking a little bit out of the front coil springs?

5. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Sounds like you will have a rigid frame and a good handling car - you may consider performing the "Shelby Drop" - lowering the upper control arms by an inch. That will modify the front end geometry to make your turns more responsive. Other than lightening the car, shifting the center of gravity to the mid point, and lowering the center of gravity, that is about all you can do.

6. 72CometGT

72CometGT Member

Vehicle:
    Green 72 Comet GT
    I went with a PST suspension kit. Got shocks for all 4 corners, front springs, new A arms and ball joints, a bigger front swaybar and a new rear swaybar. All with poly bushings.The only thing I haven't replaced is the rear springs and I plan to do so before spring. It made a HUGE difference in handling. Especially the rear end. Before the upgrades body roll was harsh but its firmed up a lot.

Edit: I am curious about the monte carlo bar and subframe connectors though. That just requires fabrication and I don't have the resources.

7. Hottrod1991

Hottrod1991 Member

Vehicle:
    73 maverick
    they're called jounce bars, grand prixs had them too! and possibly other v8 G-body cars..well i know the regals didnt get them for sure, not sure about the cuttlass's

79 and similar year camaros had them too

8. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    This is a nice addition....I am sure a local shop would weld some in for you.
    I just realized your in Atlanta.....someone around there (from here) would surely help you.

9. nickmav70

nickmav70 Nick Maverick

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
    does anyone here know the distance from the front subframe to the back subframe and how close it is to being the same as a maverick..

thanx

10. vinceking001

vinceking001 Gearmonkey

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick
    "just wondering if there is a readily available rear anti-sway bar for the mav/comets. and one thing i noticed that didnt get mentioned was when replacing all these suspension components that it would be good to use urethene bushings when possible."

I was reading "High Performance Restoration" (which is an awesome book) and he breaks down the difference between using rubber and urethane based on application. Urethane bushings and components wear well and are tight as a rock but ride quality is seriously compromised. The car will jolt a lot more at every bump. However, if you don't lube them well on installation they squeak like crazy. Some of the high-end urethane components have grease nipples to cut down on the squeakiness.

So..according to the book, they recommend high-quality (MOOG) rubber control arm bushings for maximum streetability (they absorb most of the shock), and Urethane sway bar bushings and mounts. I tried it and it works. The rubber control arm bushings give it a tight feel but don't jerk the wheel out of your hands at every bump. Pretty comfortable and a good compromise for cruising. Upgrading to poly swing arm bushings yields HUGE results on handling and stability.

Hope I could help and good luck wit her