Wont shut off

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mobiledreams, May 19, 2024.

1. Mobiledreams

Mobiledreams Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Any one out there had this problem? 1976 Maverick v8 automatic at first when you turn the key there was a delay in turning over sometimes wouldnt crank. Battery checked out ok, then replaced the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch- didnt help. then put a new starter solenoid and next a new bushing and adjusted the arm to the transmission. Problem seem to clear up. When I brought her out out of winter hibernation the problem came back with a vengeance, same problem but finally got it started. Kicker was when I went to shut it off with the key in the off position and even with the key out of the ignition the motor continues to run! Had to pop the hood and pull the coil wire to shut it down. got the multi meter out its back to square 1.

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Sounds like the ignition switch on the column which is operated by a metal rod from the keys may be out of adjustment

Mobiledreams likes this.
  3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Actually, a fairly common issue.

Disconnect the ignition wire on the solenoid, (I terminal). If engine shuts off, problem IS the solenoid.

Mobiledreams likes this.
  4. Mobiledreams

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Thanks for the suggestions. They make crap solenoids these days or I have something taking them out, third one in 7 years. so I'll do these quick check on ignition wire and switch, might save some time. Thank You.

5. Mobiledreams

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Pulled the I- wire on the solenoid as Krazy Comet suggested. Motor died, restarted and the starter motor just turned and turned and turned pulled the wire again. Ive had the solenoid go bad before but this one exhibited a little bit of everything. 7 months old, what junk. Guess I'll never pick a solenoid because it matches the paint job again. Heres the culprit:
    mini_IMG_4962.JPG mini_IMG_4963.JPG
    saved a bit of trouble shooting. Just because its new dont mean its good. Thanks