Your vehicle's title

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by rickyracer, Mar 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Yes, and I’ve done things that prove I’m not a scared old lady.

2. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    66 Stang, 68 Cougar, 72 Comet GT
    Nothing wrong with staying that way either. But in our hobby, that's getting harder everyday.
    One thing a county deputy did tell me, is when they do the VIN verification, if it comes up stolen and it was just reported stolen recently, you could be the one in trouble for possession of stolen property.

3. Constable

Constable You have the right to remain silent....or not!

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 4 door, 1994 Mustang GT convertible
    Krazy, at least you're fortunate in Va. that you don't need a title to crush a junker. Here, we do or most yards won't take them.

4. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick Grabber
    My state doesn't require a title on cars after a certain timeframe. I just needed to the Purchase & Sales along with another doc I can't remember to register. I could have it titled, but the cost/hassle outweigh the benefits at the moment where it's on jack stands.

5. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    I know this is an extreme case, but it does happen. And it probably wasn't even her car.
    13-year-old buys car for $80, then causes fatal high-speed wreck, Tennessee cops say
    Mitchell Willetts
    Mon, March 29, 2021, 12:22 PM
    A Tennessee woman was charged after a 13-year-old boy caused a fatal car crash while running from police.
    Nashville police say Katrina Russell, 37, sold a Dodge Dart to the teen, who was driving the morning of a deadly wreck on March 5. She handed over the keys in exchange for $80, the boy told police.
    She was charged with vehicular homicide by recklessness and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. She was jailed under a $6,000 bond, according to police.

6. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Title is needed here to scrap a car, no title needed to scrap a piece of a car.:yup:

rickyracer likes this.
  7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    You can always go out for a tow and forget where you left it. :D

Back when I was about to graduate from HS, some of us seniors got the idea to park a junker car in the assistant principals parking space(we all despised him). Got one with no drivetrain, interior or brakes. We pushed it approx two two miles with rope tied between it and push car. Driver(a underclass man) overshot the parking space and it's on the front entrance walk. Everyone said just leave it. Me, being level headed(in some ways), said "no it won't be here in the morning". Well I got out voted and we left it on front walk. Wasn't there in the morning.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    TeeEl likes this.
  8. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    Many many years ago, a friend of mine had a room-mate who got sent to jail. No way of contacting him and no idea when he'd be getting out. He left his car and some personal belongings at my friend's house. We loaded the stuff into the car, and pushed it down the street aways and left it on the side of the road. It sat there for 5 days or so and finally got towed away. Easy-peasy...

9. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Thats how it works here, if we dont have a title we just cut it up and take it in for scrap.

Im currently going through the process of getting a title for a snowmobile it was bought as a race sled and never titled, the PO ran it for a couple of years then the chassis sat in the corner of his shop for about 10 years. I bought and went to title it and found there was never a title on the books, for us its pretty easy to get one. You provide a bill of sale then you gotta get a vin check, after that there is a 60 day waiting period while the state runs the vin nationwide to see if anyone reports it stolen.

Then the state options to award a clean title or a bonded title... if they want it bonded you have to pay for an insurance bond which is a one time payment of $100 for every $7000 of value for the vehicle, the bond lasts 3 years and if nobody reports the vehicle as theirs in that time frame its yours free and clear. If someone does claim it then it goes before the board and they estimate how much you put into it and how much it was worth before and then the board will decide if you need to pay the owner some money or if the owner wants the vehicle back they determine how much you put into it and pay you for improvements ect.

So the people that dont take pictures of what they did could be screwed if they put a bunch of money into restoring a car and never took any pics of it.

rickyracer and BBMS18 like this.
  10. Constable

Constable You have the right to remain silent....or not!

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 4 door, 1994 Mustang GT convertible
    What's nice here is that if you don't want to do the transfer immediately, like because it'll be on jack stands for a while, you just get the current owner to sign the title in the presence of a notary and just take possession of the title. There's a few states you don't even need the notary like Ohio. You can finish the transfer at a later date so long as the seller did a notarized signature. That's what I did as the car wasn't running when I bought it and I didn't have any idea if we were going to be able to get the engine in it running well. Turned out for the best.

rickyracer likes this.
  11. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    How can you insure a vehicle you don't own? If your car gets totaled, guess who gets the money? The titled owner.

12. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    I’ve done it several times, call the insurance company give them the vin.... although I’ve never put full coverage on one, if totaled the owner gets the shaft & I’d get shot.

rickyracer likes this.
  13. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Its just like me requiring my kids to get their own insurance on my vehicle if they drive it. I dont want my premiums to go up because of their bad grades.... Just because I provide them a vehicle doesnt mean i should pay for their bad mistakes... well too many of their bad mistakes...

rickyracer likes this.
  14. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    Some companies only insure the listed driver/drivers of that vehicle. Some (no endorsements here) will insure you and insure any vehicle you legally drive. Which is nice on rental vehicles if you ever use one.

15. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    I think you are missing the point. My kids get their own jobs, my kids want to drive my cars they will get their own insurance policy. Since the insurance rate is also based off of their grades and their driving records I require them to have their own insurance. That way when they get an F in one of their stupid classes they decided not to go to... like creamics.... I wont see an $115 a month premium increase on my car insurance bill... (yes i am speaking from experience)