15x8's up front? just woundering...

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by David74maverick, Dec 2, 2009.

1. David74maverick

David74maverick Member

Vehicle:
    '74 maverick, '87 Celica
    I found a set of 4 15x8's on craigslist and was woundering if they would work up front. has anyone tried some on? I was thinking of running 235/60-15's on them. right now I have 235/60-15 running on 15x7 on the front and they work fine, although I'm unsure how the wider rim would affect how the tire would fit. thanks.

2. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I haven't ran them, but when I sold my Comet, I threw on a set of 15x10s that fit on it, and actually didn't stick out the sides at ALL. It actually looked pretty neat w/ the big fat tires up front.

Im sure if you got the right offset it would work. These seemed to not rub anything while rolling it around and up onto the trailer, so they were most likely runnable.

This was with 295/60 tires so Im sure the ones your wanting to run will be fine.

A wider rim won't make the tire bulge as much either so it may actually fit better. (This is if your running the same size tire on the wider rim)

3. David74maverick

David74maverick Member

Vehicle:
    '74 maverick, '87 Celica
    Should I be looking for 4 to 4 1/2" backspacing to run these up front? What would be recomended so I can run the same rims and tires all the way around. If I did get the 15x8's I plan on running 235/60-15... unless they make a wider lower tire that I could run...

4. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I can't help you on the back spacing, as I never measured the rims that I threw on the Comet when I sold it.

They were freebies when I got them, and were on a ranger and had the pregnant roller skate look to them. But they fit and didn't stick out on the front of the comet. Surprised the heck out of me.

I just know that you could get away with a 15x8 but it would take some measuring for sure.

5. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I'm thinking mine are 15 x8 with 4 1/4 " back space, but not sure. I'm running 215/60/15 up front. Cut 1 coil, and anything taller scrubs on turns.

6. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    I'm looking at getting 15x8's all the way around as well. All my research points to getting a 4"-4.5" bs for a 15x8 and a 5" bs for a 15x10 (thinking of doing 10's on the rear). I'm going to be cutting a coil or two and have laurel mountain control arms so idk if it'll work for me lol. I just looked up how to do it for a stock suspension... Hope this helps?

7. maverickdragger

maverickdragger GearHead

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    i ran 15x8's with a 4 1/2 backspacing all the way around on my car for awhile. 235 60 up front and 255 60 in rear. looked mean

8. David74maverick

David74maverick Member

Vehicle:
    '74 maverick, '87 Celica
    Thank you, Now I just need to find some presentable rims with that backspace... Another question is with the stock stud length's what width of spacer/adapter could I use if needed? I know I could only go up to a certain spacer before I run out of threads and I know that a adapter would have to be atleast a certain thickness before the studs run into the rim... I'm just having difficulty finding rims that I like with the right backspace. thanks.

9. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    u and me both bud.