75 Maverick with 2.75 center bore/wheel problem

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by bearcat, Jul 29, 2013.

1. bearcat

bearcat New Member

Vehicle:
    75 Maverick
    I upgraded my car from a 6 cyl rear-end to a 75 Maverick 8 inch rear-end, in order to install a V8. I made sure this rear end was a 5 lug 4.5 bolt pattern..I didn't think to measure the Center bore Diameter..It is a 2.75 inch bore..I wanted to put magnum 500's (14 or 15in) or the mid 60's mustang GT style wheels on this car. I have yet to run across these early classic repo's with the 2.75 center bore. I have had many tell me to have the hub machined down to a 2.125 but not something I am comfortable with..I am beginning to think I didn't get such a good deal on this axle but have too much money in gear work now to switch...I would prefer to stay with a 14x7 rim or second choice a 15x7. Don't shoot, but I am talking about a 64 falcon sprint as the reason for the rim selection to stay somewhat stock. I figured Maverick guys could help with a maverick rear-end question..Thanks for help

2. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Magnum 500s are lug-centric, not hub-centric. They will fit the 2.75" stub just fine.

3. bearcat

bearcat New Member

Vehicle:
    75 Maverick
    axle shaft conversion

The axle shaft in this 75 maverick has a 2.75 center bore which presents problems on rim selection. Does anyone have any info as to whether any other year axle shaft will interchange with this rear end to give me a standard 2.125 center bore?

4. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    I have a hard time believing that wheel selection for the '74 and later (2.75" center) is limited, but in any case, '72-'73 axles should fit just fine.

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I also see no reason to change the axles/brake drums. The wheels you want should bolt right on with no problems.