A.R. 15" wheels: AR500s (Magnums), Torq-Thrust Ds, or Ansen Sprints?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by brad_g, Aug 23, 2008.

1. brad_g

brad_g Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick- 302 4V, PS, PDB, A/C
    I currently have a stock set of 14x6 rims with stock hubcaps on my two-door '71 Mav. However, like many other people on this board, I feel the need for some 15" aftermarket wheels.

I plan to lower the car 2" all around (by means of cut springs and blocks) and run 15x7s with 215/65R15s in the front and 15x8s with 255/60R15s in the back (a la the Ray Moore Mav seen here). In my opinion, the look of the Maverick just begs for some big fat tires on the back.

I realize there have been posts about this topic ad nauseum, but I couldn't find any that really satisfied me fully. In an effort to narrow down which wheels I should get, I've decided against Cragars and for a set of Americans. It's between the AR500s, Torq-Thrust Ds or Ansen Sprints. Frankly, I'm leaning a bit toward the mag-colored Torq-Thrusts...

What I'm asking of you, my fellow Mav owners, is two part:
    • First off, which of these rims do you like the best? Which have you put on your car (or cars)? How do you like them now that you have put them on? Would you switch 'em if you could?
    • Secondly, will all of these rims fit fine on a Maverick? I have heard many things with regards to backspacing: some say 4.25 or 4.5, while others say 3.75. Will both work? And what's the deal with offset? I'm a bit confused and don't want to spend $1000 on wheels and tires to find out that something rubs or doesn't fit. I don't know if it makes a difference with regards to wheel fitting, but I have done the Granada disc swap in the front.
    Here are some links to the American Racing website that give the stats of those three wheels (width, backspace and offset):
    AR500 (Magnum 500s)
    Torq-Thrust D (with the magnesium color painted center)
    Ansen Sprint

I appreciate your time in helping me out. :cool:

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I have tried 4.5 backspacing with the same size tire your going to run and the tire just touched the leaf spring. I have read where others used the rim and it fits. So I'd say it depends on how straight the tire side wall is. To be safe, I would not go more than 4.25 but I think 4" would be better.

3. signal20

signal20 Paul VanSteen

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    HPIM1369_original.jpg

I like this look!

4. 302mav76

302mav76 Isaac Serna

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick
    I've 4.25" rear wheels. They rubbed with the frame until I put a 1/4" spacer. Watch out for the rear fender lips, they are very sharp and I almost popped a tire in a pothole due to them.