Cobra Wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by htr701, Jun 7, 2006.

1. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I was wondering if I was running the stock maverick suspension, would a mustang wheel and tire fit? I'm talking about maybe those torque thrust/crager looking wheels off of the mustang and the series of cobra wheels. I have a '74 2 door its a 5 lug of course and I think it has a 8". If they don't fit in the back, what about if I had a 9". Here are some pics of the wheels I was looking at Wheel 1, Wheel 2, Wheel 3. :tiphat: Thanks

2. Bum's_Steer

Bum's_Steer Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2-dr. (Grabber clone) 1970 Maverick 2-dr.
    There's a couple of guys here running late model Mustang wheels on their Mavs.

You'll have to use spacers or wheel adapters to get them to fit.

I'm going to be running the 17" Bullitts with 245/45 tires on mine with either 1" or 1-1/4" adapters.

I've also got a pair of 17X10 Bullitts, but I don't think they'll fit in the rear wheelwell of the Maverick.

You should also note that the Cobra R style wheels are wider than the Bullitts

Here's an link to the type of adapters I'm going to use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8072562326&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

You can also install longer lug studs and use spacers, like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLET-WHEELS-SPACERS-Ford-Mustang-94-GT-Cobra-3-8_W0QQitemZ8071189240QQcategoryZ42614QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I pulled the front and rear wheels off my car, set the jack at about ride heighth, and put the Bullitt wheel (and tire) up to the hub, and set it about where I thought it looked good and cleared the outer lip and inner fender and suspension parts, then I measured the distance between the hub and wheel hub.....in my case, it looks to be about 1" to 1-1/4".

I've also got another complete set of Bullitts that I'm going to mount 255/45/17 tires on to possibly use on my 98 Crown Vic Interceptor, but I'm also going to see if the 255s fill up the wheelwells a little better on the Mav, and still clear everything.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  3. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Thanks a lot!!:dance::bananaman

4. awannabegrabber

awannabegrabber Always Learning

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick with a trim package
    I dont know about them fitting but wheel 1 is what i would go with out of those 3.

Personally i like the mag look better.