Got a new welder...

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by scooper77515, Jun 19, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I found a really cheap welder at Harbor Freight. I got it on sale cheaper than advertised in the link...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44567

I know their stuff is not the best quality, but a wire flux mig welder for $115...I just couldn't pass it up.

I rented one similar (but better brand) from Home Depot to do my shock towers, and really liked the ease of use. At $40 a day, I only need to have this new welder work for 3 projects and it pays itself off.

Has anyone used this, and any suggestions for as long a working life as possible?

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    If its possible, convert it to gas. If not, dont expect good performance on sheet metal.

3. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    I HAVE A CRAFTSMAN MIG THAT I RUN W/O GAS AND DOES PRETTY GOOD ON EVERYTHING THAT I'VE USED IT ON SO FAR FROM SHEET METAL TO WRENCHES. IT HAS THE PLACE FOR GAS BUT HAVE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT HOOKING IT UP. AND I BOUGHT MINE FROM MY NEIGHBOR FOR $225... I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD DEAL:huh:

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    This uses a flux-core wire. It is supposed to replace the gas. If I add gas (that is Argon, isn't it?) do I still use the flux core or a different wire?

I used a similar flux core non-gas on my shock towers, but that was thicker steel welded to sheet metal. The weld was very messy, bumpy, lots of spatter and slag. It looked great once I ground it down...meaning I put down 3 welds on, and ground off 1-1/2 of them to make it look good, plus the extra welding made it stronger.

Does the gas reduce the spattering?

As you can tell, I have done some welding, but I am NOT a "welder". I actually do a better job with arc welding, especially on stainless....I had to do a bit of stainless welding when I worked in the machine shop paying my way through college...

AND...when you say "performance" do you mean looks or abilty to hold? The current project is behind the inner door panels, so looks are not important, but holding definitely is...I would hate to have someone slam the door and the inner panel and door handle lands in their lap :slap:

5. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    yes, its argon.gas requires solid wire,while gasless uses self shielding wire. i prefer non gas myself. i used to use gas but, when gas ran out could not weld anymore. gas does make a nicer looking weld,no slag.home depot has spatter guard spray, works very well.

6. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Is that an aerosol spray??? I think I have heard of that. I might try it out.

Ed, as you can tell, the $300 oxy/acetylene welder fell through...figured by the time I got the welder and the bottles, I would be well over $500. So, the $115 welder was a DEFINITE eye opener :eek:

Especially since I have two fenders and a door sitting on the garage floor waiting to be installed... :D

7. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    yes its a spray.the first time i used i was impressed. i still have that old door if you want it to practice on.

8. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    kinda off subject... but I heard that welding up roll cages and other NHRA legal stuff has to be welded with gas... so the welds can easily be checked for gaps, etc. anyone know if thats true?

9. 69 ina 1/2

69 ina 1/2 Fox body nut!!!

Vehicle:
    691/2 maverick (sold to Mad Goon), 89 mustang coupe, 89 mustang GT, Gas-guzzlin' 05 Ford f150
    Hey Scoop, I have basically the same welder (cambell hausfield) and it works great for welding up holes and non-structural jobs. I think your probably ok with the doors and stuff. Shielding gas for a mig set up is 25% carbon dioxide / 75% argon mix. 100% argon is mostly for tig welding. You should be able to buy anti-splatter in concentrate (for a spray bottle) or aerosol at most welding supply outfits(y)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  10. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

Ed, I would like that door, if you don't want it sitting around anymore. Next time I am in that area, I will swing by. How much damage does it have? Still useable, or just practice material?

If I would have thought of it, I was up at the 290 Harbor Freight on Sunday, I could have called and met you at the shop...

11. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    just practice material,unless your really good. i just want to take the glass and tracks out,unless you need them.

12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have three sets of glass and tracks, so I don't need them. If the door is shot, I will probably just save it for patch material, maybe to fill in the running lights and the antenna hole in the fender. If it is salvageable, I will just put it in the attic and add it to inventory. I might cut some off the inside panel off and reweld it, just to see how bad I can mess it up before I do it to my permanent doors...

No hurry, though, just next time I am up that way, I will give you a holler, unless you want to meet in town one day?

13. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    what ever works best for you. its taking up much space where its at.

14. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Let me know...I can meet you in town next week sometime, or just wait until my next run up your way...maybe when you get yours started up and ready for a test run??? (y)

15. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I found anti-spatter in an aerosol spray and in a tub (I assume it is a paste). The instructons for both were vague.

Anyone know how to use them both, and have a preference of one over the other?