Handling

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by Ford Guy, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber
    I want my car to have good handling, unlike it currently does. I have gotten all new suspension, but my question is about wheel size. Do 15" wheels handle good or should I step up to 17's? I like the look of both, but I'm not sure if the 17's are worth the extra money that is needed for both the wheels and the tires.

2. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i always thought handeling came more from tire width then hight. i think shorter and skinnier tires, atleast in the front will give you more responcive steering tho.

though i could be entierly wrong...

3. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber
    Yeah, but I am going to run the same width of tire and wheel no matter which diameter I choose. I just don't know if the shorter sidewall does anything.

4. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    K, being an original owner I got some sperience on this. Once I tied the frame together and put the 17's on, the car became more like a slot car. For sure the less of a tire sidewall does play in the factor. But, I cut the front springs and brought the rear down an inch. Handles nearly as well as my 88 stang GT now.
    Dan

5. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    shorter side walls help with cornering but larger side wall provide better traction i believe, probably a smoother ride for the driver too

6. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Yup, taller sidewall definately makes for a better ride, but not sure on the handeling.

7. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Shorter sidwalls have less deflection,hence better steering response(transmits steering input to pavement faster)makes for a stiffer ride too(less cushioning)Taller side wall is the opposite but ride softer(more cushioning)Regardless of tire size/width what needs to be done to get the car to handle involves many aspects.Spring rates/ride height/chassis stiffness/roll resistance(anti roll bars/sway bars) to name a few as well as tire choice(width/aspect ratio{sidewall height}and tread designe) as well as type of compound(soft/sticky or firm and not sticky)It should be thought out as a whole system(package).That said... you will see immediate improvement with lowering the ride height and putting a wider tire on the car and installing a set of sub frame connectors.As far as wheel size is concerned...If you stay within the original overall tire height give or take an inch you will not see an adverse change in driving dynamics.Remeber larger wheels and tires put more leverage on the brakes.This can diminish braking capacity which is a bad thing on our allready overtaxed stock brake systems on our Mavs/comets.If you go 17/18 inch wheel dia,I would consider upgradeing the brakes to some degree.Hope this helps you,good luck.

8. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Very good points.

What I find funny is the highlighted part about overtaxed brake system, Because in a few advertisements for the mavericks, they read that the braking system is designed to stop a vehicle hundres of pounds heavier. Boy, guess they were wrong huh? lol

9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Well... we do know how well our cars stopped before we upgraded em...it is my opinion that the auto manufacturers leave alot on the table with brake systems.Seems like they do the minimum necessary to make it... should I use the word "safe" But hey,Just gives us a reason to Up-grade!!!
    Right?:D