how do you determine your wheel size for street strip car?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by junrai, Aug 6, 2013.

1. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    ok many if not all of you know Im shooting for a street strip car with 1000hp to the wheels. Ive decided on a strange 9inch rear end and I have no idea how to choose my wheel size or tire size for that matter.

with my motor almost being paid off I have to start thinking about wheels and tires. my rear end shop wants me to have the wheels before he determines the measurement of the rear end.

so heres the question how do I figure out what tire and wheel size I can go with? I always figured wheels would be last on the list of things to do so Im totally caught off guard here.
    I want to keep the back seat and am looking at this spring set up
    http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_gBar.html

dont even know if it will work yet so just throwing this out there for those who can answer this for me

thanks in advance for any help

2. 74LDO

74LDO Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick LDO
    wheel tire size

Call Chris Altson Tech line they can help and did me years ago....but you need to have some answers too, intended use 1/8 mile? 1/4 mile? what class? what transmission and gear ratios. Good Luck:burnout:

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Usually you go with what fits, but with 1000 HP, you'll need something bigger....and don't forget the wheelie bars, that's a know issue with Mavericks, and Comets.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    pkay I loaded the car up and went to chris alstons place and had them check it out. they said the set up I was looking at wont work for my car BUT did point me in a very good direction they showed me a back half that would fit under the car with very little fabrication to the car and still be able to keep the back seat. :thumbs2:

for roughly what I was going to spend with strange just for the rear end and a couple of braces I can get a full back half with a fab nine rear end housing and a set of coil over vari shocks and extruded aluminum stabilizer bars and a sway bar along with all of the hardware to put it all together. the axles and gears will still come from strange but it looks like the rest is going to come from chris alstons place (y) Ill talk to them a bit more`about the sheet metal work when the time comes. the price they gave me was $4k and strange told me $3600 without the back half just for the rear end and braces