Hubcap Restoration

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by MrBrent, Feb 17, 2010.

1. MrBrent

MrBrent Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 302V8 Orange 2D
    This may be a longshot but has anyone every restored this style of hubcap? Particularly, I'm talking about the plastic centers. They are painted from the inside which makes it more difficult.

I'm guessing how it might be done... First the plastic would need to be carefully buffed to remove the surface clouding and then somehow it would be painted. What type of paint I have no idea.

[​IMG]

I find them insteresting since they have the Maverick logo.
    They seem to be extremely rare in great condition.

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    As long as inner surface (that recieves the paint) is in good shape. You can use model paint like (Testors enamel) to paint/touch up the lenses. As for removing the old paint...You could try brake fluid or easey off. Personally, I would clean/buff the flat outer surface and touch up the paint where needed.Trying to get the old paint out of the nooks cranneys and grooves can damage the surface if your not careful.
    Good luck man!!!

3. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    x2---- for outer surface I have done this and it works great, I painted the surfaces a gun metal gray, its a little darker than original but looks pretty good, hopefully your steerheads look good as that is a harder part to redo

4. MrBrent

MrBrent Member

Vehicle:
    brake fluid is a very nasty and caustic substance that will certainly etch and cloud the plastic. if you put a drop of it on a piece of plastic and wait 5 minutes you will see some etching.

Removing the paint can be done in any number of ways that won't warp or cloud the plastic. I am more concerned about the polishing and repainting phases.

Has anyone actually done this? I'd rather not be the first if I could avoid it.

Also, it would be helpful if in your answer you could specifically say "I haven't done this, but my wife thinks that..."

And, if you have actually done this. I would be very interested to see a picture of your results.

Thanks!

5. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    I have restored wheel centers in the past useing easy off to remove the paint,I have also used brake fluid (sorry I should have said "sparingly") to soften the paint for ease of removal, My mistake. Sorry I dont have any of the wheel centers to show you,they went with the cars they were on but when I get home I can show you some of my wheel painting skills.I generally do not speak unless I have experience with the particular subject. Or know for a fact (research)that information I supply is correct.
    I apologise for my ovesight with my previous statement regarding the use of brake fluid, and will correct it post haste.Good luck with your restoration endeavor my friend.
    Pete

6. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 Door Sport Sedan Grabber
    Oh nooo, airplane paint remover works best. The old paint bubbles up and off and whats left you peel or scrape off. Be sure to use gloves when handling. Then clean with soap and water and prep with a paint prep (plastic or metal) and repaint the surface(s) that you need.
    I used this on steel, plastics and even chrome to remove old paint, tar, dirt etc.
    Good luck and let us know what you end up using--maybe some before and after pics!!
    Test something to get a feel for it and you may need to add more than one coat of paint remover. For example I used it to completely remove the black paint from my sport lamps and dabbed some on where I could not get paint off of my turn signal (side) bezels. A kind of touch and wipe off technique. I used then prep spray for plastics and metals and special plastic and metal paints from my local paint shop guys.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  7. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Here is a pic of a center cap I repainted, dont bother with taking the paint off the inside just paint the outside all you have to do is mask off the center emblem

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. MrBrent

MrBrent Member

Vehicle:
    I know there is size limitation for posting pictures here.
    I just can't see it in enough detail.

if you can take a more detailed picture of about 700 kb, it would be super great! Also a picture of the backside too!

Possibly post them as links on your flickr account if they won't fit here.