I need to build a custom metal workbench. Please provide hints and suggestions!

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by scooper77515, Mar 5, 2011.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have an odd shaped space to fill, otherwise I would buy a premade bench. My garage is 3 cars wide, but the third bay is off-set so it starts about a foot back, and extends about 3' deeper (the side with the maverick).

I want to do this once, and do it right. It will have to be made of steel, welded (possibly bolted at points), and will need to support a transmission if I so desire to tear one down.

It will be 12' long (and about 13' where that extension is on the 2-bay side), and the pole in the middle of the garage will need to come up through the middle of the table somehow.

The bench will be 22-3/4" wide, from garage door to garage door minus the space needed to access the garage door hardware. It will basically cover all the area where the slicks, propane tanks, generator, and other junk is on the floor.

I will likely put a second level around knee high for storage, but at the ends I will leave it just the top, so the generator can slide under on one end, and slicks and other tall stuff at the other end. I will use plywood on top, and at least for half of the length, if not the entire length, I will put a steel plate over it for pounding and strength (and mount an anvil, vise, etc.) I will worry about upright peg-board later, right now just worried about the bench.

Should I use round stock, angle iron, a combination of both?

How should I protect it from rust? POR-15, or use galvanized in the first place?

Anything else to know before I get into it?

Finally, the garage floor is slightly angled for drainage, so I want the bench level, in case that makes a difference in the materials used.

Any help?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Just make it from wood. I made mine from left over 2x6's, 15 years ago. I covered the top with sheet metal, and put angle iron on the edges.

3. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I would do like Dave said and use wood. The top should be thick, solid wood covered in metal to give you a strong solid surface. My bench at work is 2x6 planks across the width of the bench with a steel top wrapped around the wood at the front. Also a raised edge of some sort to stop your parts and tools rolling off. That gets annoying fast.
    Doesnt take much to hold a trans or small block on a bench.
    Woods easier to work with.

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    How high should the top be for comfortable working height? Please answer with "even with your waist" or "halfway between navel and nipples" or something, rather than "3'-6"" which might be fine for one person, but too low or high for the next guy.

I would like to be able to do my work without having to reach up or having to lean over.

Wood construction is not out of the question. I figured steel would hold up better, and wouldn't start loosening up over time making it more "rickety". Besides, I have a new gas mig welder, and just looking for an excuse to use it. :clap:

5. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I am going to use wood. It absorbs sound better than steel. I have a large commercial fire rated wood door that I claimed off a remodel at a bank that will be used for the top. Will have my friend bend a top for me. Use screws instead of nails to keep it tight. If you insist on steel I would probably use square or rectangular tubing for the main structure.

6. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    consider makeing several benches. you may want to put one on casters so you can roll it over by the car when your working on it and then be able to roll it back to its place. i would make the rolling one out of steel. then stationary ones out of wood with a metal top. use screws to put the wood one toghter and it will be alot less prone to loosening up.

7. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I agree w/ the post ahead of me. Wood is easier, safer and faster to work with. I used metal brackets to build a bench abt 5 yrs ago and it's super stable. I used metal corner braces and it's a lot faster to produce a quality piece depending on how dillegent one is in making ur 90% cuts. I used the metal braces in the link below. My bench is not 12' long, but Im sure I cud have built one that long if I had the need and room. Another gud thing abt using this method - u can use regular 2*4 lumber.
    I got the Strongties at Home Depot. There are others who make them; these are just the ones I used. My bench is 6ft * 2ft w/ 3/4" hardboard top and 2" rubber casters - for mobility.

http://www.strongtie.com/DIY/projects.html

8. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Very familiar with strongties. I built my arbor with them at my old house. Didn't want any wood coming loose during hurricanes. Held for for 6 good strong storms never lost a single piece of wood.

9. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Years ago I ran into a bowling alley being remodel. I scooped up some old alley boards at a cheap price, makes excellent workbench top!

So,,, may want to call bowling alley and ask if they can help in finding old lanes.

10. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Make it the same height as your kitchen counter.

11. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    OK, so zipper-level. Thanks!

That bowling alley wood is worth big money here. There are a couple of local guys that use it to make bars, dining tables, and other stuff. Beautiful stuff when they are done.

12. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    If you are going to be rebuilding transmissions (or other things that contain fluids) you may want to have a drain or gutter system to drain the oil into a bucket that can be easily emptied.

13. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Paul, I don't "plan on" rebuilding a transmission, but you never know. But, if I ever get a bug up my arse to do it...

14. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Here is a pic of bowling alley wood used on a workbench! COOL!!!

This is exactly what I was thinking of making. Steel frame, wooden top, and a portion would need a steel sheet on top for pounding on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Thats how I did mine,,, only kept lane width, Hey I'm a big guy!
    Got some oak 1x4 and finished the edges. You can not run these boards threw a planner unless you hate the guy who owns it or you gots lots of $$$ for new blades. Nails and finish is tough on planners.

Makes a excellent working top!