Now onto tires!!!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by htr701, Jul 1, 2008.

1. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Well I ordered my wheels and got them a couple days go. Whe I ordered them I wanted 4 17x8. Well they managed to send me 2 17x8 and 2 17x9. I first I was kind of mad, thinking...this wheel won't fit in the back and I won't be able to rotate my tires. :cry: BUT!!! I can't stop think about how awesome the car would look with a 17x9 in the back with 275/40 17 tires would look on there. I called around talked to a few buddies that handle tires and what I got was that they were unsure in how much the sidewall would extend pass the wheel when properly inflated. I checked the wheels for clearance today and I have 1/4in between the wheel and the leaf spring. My first thought was just to buy a 1/2in spacer thinking the max overhang of the tire pass the wheel would be 1/2, that way I would still have 1/4in wiggle room to play with.

So I guess my question is this. How much is the max a sidewall of a tire can hangout of the wheel when being properly inflated? Should the 1/2in spacer cover it? The best thing is to have it test fitted with the tire on and then measure it, but unfortunately I can't do that since I'm ordering the wheels, not getting them at a store, 245/45 for 60bucks each for the front isn't a bad deal at all.......:clap:

Oh and is it safe to go with that 245 in the front, or is that going to cut it close as well? I will go smaller up front, that doesn't bother me, the back I want as wide as possible without mini-tubbing it right now. Thanks in advance;):bowdown::D

2. mleech7825

mleech7825 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I have 275 40 17 on the back of our 71 Maverick Grabber. We had to put 1.25 inch spacers on the back to stop the rub on the inside, and it does not rub on the outside.

3. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Thanks, I don't think I'm going to have to run that big of a spacer, but I think 1/2in at least. I am running that, so when I do find out I'll post if for those that want to run something similar will know. What wheels do you have?

4. mleech7825

mleech7825 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I have American Racing Torque Thrust Chrome Mags, 17x8