These tires any good? Anyone have any experience with them? BFG g-Force T/A KDW NT

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by scooper77515, Jan 16, 2011.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    [​IMG]

Actually for the wife's mustang, but I figure they would be just as good (or bad) on a Mav or Comet.

2. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    We put them on a lot of the Atlanta area Marauder guys cars until they quit making them in their size. They loved them. Good grip and not too noisy. Cool looking tread pattern too. I think they said they were pretty good in the rain as well.

3. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Currently, the wife has a very old and worn set of the regular g-Force T/As on. They are just about to the wear bar, and noisy on the road. It is a convertible, so we want to keep the noise at a minimum.

Last week she said she lost traction and slid a little in the rain, so I checked her tires and said They Gotta GO!!!

These are described as being sticky, quiet, and good in rain. So I am willing to spend a little extra for her safety, if they are actually that good.

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Yeah, cool pattern, too. Looks kinda like flame-age!!! :thumbs2:

5. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Grabber
    My dad had those on his Mustang until he sold it. He liked them and had no complaints. He felt they were much stickier than the Pirellis that came on the car. Plus, they look cool

6. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Looking at that tread design I would think they would be very sensitive to shock condition and rotates. The blocky outer tread looks like it will scallop easily and end up real noisy. Just my opinion.

7. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Guy at tire shop said that they are in fact sensitive to rotations. But that is fine, I rotate religiously.

In fact, will most likely rotate these every 2000 miles. That is all the wife drives every 6 months, so I am swapping oil on a 6-month rotation, rather than 5000 miles.

8. mavmet

mavmet Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    bfg kdw's

I had a set on a f100 that had a BB 460 that put alot of torque to the ground in it and those tires held the road very well in both wet and dry conditions they did better than the 18.5 mickey thompsons that replaced them which in my book says somthing for the KDW's. good luck.

9. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    They are very hard to come by. Sold out at most places, which "in my book, says something for the KDW's" :D

they basically found 4 tires at four different locations around the country and are shipping them in. discount tire.

I could get four from TireRack in stock in Lousiana, but then I would spend my savings on having Discount Tire mount and balance them. So I will wait for Discount to get them in and install them. Cheaper in the long run.

By the way, new guy, sorry to poke fun at you. Lived in Kent, WA, and loved the Auburn area. Welcome to the board!

10. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    OK, got them on today. Very aggressive looking tread, and makes the car look a bit more beefy.

Since we bought the car used, in 07 (it is an 05 model), the rear end has had a wavering roar, and we worried about it. Took it in for an inspection before we bought it, and Ford guy said tires were wearing odd, poor rotating from previous owner.

Then when we bought these rims off craigslist, there were a set of Geforce tires on them, the older models, with regular-looking tread. But they also had 35k miles on them. We hoped the rear end sound would go away, but it didn't, so we continued to worry about it.

Well, today, new tires, and that rear end noise is gone. So apparently , it really was poorly worn tires all along.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  11. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick

Doesnt surprise me. After this many years lookin at tires you get an eye for which ones are going to have scalloping issues or be sensitive to it. The biggest factor is suspension condition and that translates directly into rotates as well. Still some tire designs are prone to it. The key is to have the outer tread bar tied together. This is a huge help. Keep up on those rotates Scoop or that rear end noise will be back. Good news you know its not the diff.:thumbs2:

Toyo came out with this design a few years back. Best performance tire I have ever owned and driven.

[​IMG]

12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    So you mean the scallops come from those outside tread "knobbies" not being connected together?

Hmmm. I didn't know that.

The noise wasn't that bad, just worriesome. If it comes back, I wouldn't worry about it KNOWING that it is just the tires, and not the differential.