Tires too narrow for rims

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by DaMadman, Nov 29, 2007.

1. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    Well I just wanted to put this out so that nobody else has this issue.

I am fairly certain that the issue I am having is from the tires being to narrow for the rims they are on. Therefore the bead isn't sealing the way it shoudl and the air is leaking around where the tire seals to the rim.

The guy I bought my latest Maverick from (the 73 Grabber) put those nice Oldskewl (70's style) Mustang GT rims on the car before I bought it and he put P225 70 14 tires on the back and 215 70 14's on the front. Now according to him (and I tend to agree) the rims are 8 inch rims and I keep having an issue with the tires loosing pressure.

One of the tires went low on the way home and since I have been driving the car over the last couple weeks I have lost pressure in 3 out of the 4 tires that are on the car. Both front tires have went about half flat (below 20 psi) and the one back tire went low as well.

I certainly appreciate the fact that the guy even bothered to put a brand new set of tires on the car just before selling it to me, it was something that he really didn't have to do because the car already had a decent set of tires on the stock rims already on the car. So I am cetainly not going to complain. I just wanted to pass the word because I hear a lot of guys tellign each other that it's not safe to put to WIDE of a tire on a skinny rim, well it goes the other way around too. putting a tire that is too skiny for a wide rim will leave you with a flat just as well as the other was around actually from my personal experience skinny tire on a wide rim will leave you flat QUICKER than wide tire ona skinny rim. It may not be quit as dramatic when the tire does go flat but when that skinny tire doesn't seal right to the bead on that wide rim it will leave you with a flat just as quick

2. svthauln

svthauln Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick
    I'm with blown76mav I have seen several rims with rust on the beads cause this.If the rust is not too bad you can break the tire down and clean the rim.Also make shue the valve stems are new.

3. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    if they are going down that quickly you should be able to spray some soapy water around the edges and the valve stems to see where they are leaking from.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I don't think those rims are 8" wide. I think they are 7" wide. I have one in the garage....I guess I could go measure it.

Plus...I don't think those tires would be too skinny for a 7" wheel. I think they would be just about right.

Like above......check the bead for rust.

5. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Time for a tire shop an let them do their thing! I'm with Craig on this, 8 in rims from Ford, dang hard to find, thinking them is 8

6. robtech

robtech has a bellybutton

215 is not too narrow on an 8...i've run a 195 on an 8" wheel before...sounds like either your bead is rusted, maybe bad valve stems...or sometimes tires just dont seat right and need to be messed with...or you coulda ran over some nails/staples/gi joes. i work at a shop and yes i've pulled a gi joe out of a tire before

7. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    well I am hoping along the lines that they just didn't seat quite right and just needed to be messed with.

It is an odd situation. The tire that went flat on the way home was just wierd It was fine when I left the guys house and find about 30 minutes down the road when I got gas and it was like it just all the sudden went about half flat and a couple guys pulled alonfg side of me and pointed it out. I was running 70 mph and didn't even know the tire was half flat (car handles pretty well).

Anyway I put on a spare and drove it home and had no further issues with flat tires and drove the car for several days maybe a week and kept an eye on the tire pressure pretty close and one day when I came out of work one of the other tires were low (down around 20 psi) So I drove cautiously to the service station and put some air in it and didn't have anymore problems with that tire and then a few days later one of the others was low (around 22 psi) so I pumped that one back up but before pumping it up I did something I said I would never do and put some of that fix-a-flat type stuff in it.

In the mean time I took the one that went flat on the way home out of the trunk and went ofer it with a fine tooth curry comb and I am normally pretty good at spotting a nail or screw or something of the sort but I didn't find anything at all in the tire or otherwise wrong with the tire so I filled her back up with air and put it back on the car and it held tight for about a week and then I noticed one day that IT was low again (don't remember how low it was) but I pumped it back up ad it's holding tight again :huh:....

BTW all these tires were BRAND spanking new and the rims are in what I would say is pretty darn good condition.

I certainly thought about the rust inside the rim factor as well as a few other things but I'll knock on wood all of the tires are pumped up and holding tight as of now.

The reason I was thinking originally that the tires are a little narrow for the rims is because of the was the sidewalls fill out. They just have that look.... Like they are a little ont he narrow side.

Anyway I just knocked on my head (wood) and I am going to hope for now that they don't give me any more issues and stay filled with air. If any of them lose pressure again I am going to just take it to the tire shop and have the pros do what they do and check them all out. I am just not looking forward to taking it to the tire shop because I don't want to hear the flak about the fix-a-flat being in the two tires I put it in.. hahahaha.

8. svthauln

svthauln Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick
    fix-a-flat :naughty:
    Very messy

9. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    Get those tires off of those wheels.And then get that fix a flat crap outta there(it'll rust your wheels)& get a wire brush and clean those rims.I'd bet you've got some rusty wheel lips and there's where your leaks are coming from.

10. madbaverick

madbaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1973 2-door Maverick, 1977 2-door Maverick
    DeMadman:
    I know this is an old post and I hope you have corrected your problem,
    but if not I had a few thoughts. First you said that the tires are brand new. The first thing I thought of is that all new tires have a small
    bar code sticker right on the bead. If these stickers are not removed
    the tires can have an intermittant leak. I have seen it many times.
    Also if you take a spray bottle of soapy water and squirt it all over the
    tire you will see the leak. The leaking air will make bubbles. You can also
    completly submerge the tire in water and have the same result.

Cary