Well, I am finally gonna do it!

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by PINKY, Apr 25, 2005.

1. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    After all these years, I have finally broke down and am having a garage built. I have been putting it off, but I think it is time :rolleyes: . I had 5 different people come out and give quotes(all are friends of the family) and I gave $$$ to one of them Friday. He is going to break ground in 2 weeks :woohoo1: So needless to say I am very excited :rofl:

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    "ihad 5 different people come out and give quotes(all are friends of the family) and I gave $$$ to one of them."

i hope this doesn't jump up and bite you... you know what they say about "hiring friends and family" :tsk: ... i am looking at building my shop soon (bride insists). i shouldn't have the friends problem (i don't have any).:eek: what size will it be? i want a small one (20x20) but am told you can't build one too big...

3. RobertBailey

RobertBailey MCCI & MCG Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Clone,1970 Maverick, 1973 Grabber, 1973 2dr, 1973 Maverick(Parts Car) 2000 Ford SD Truck PowerStroke
    Mine is 20x20.....build bigger. I am going to extend mine.

20x20 is ok for parking the car in but add shelves, workbench, air compressor,
    blast cabinet and a parts washer, plus 2 roll around tool boxes and you have to
    move stuff outside to work on the car:hmmm: .

My:2cents:

Robert

4. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    I agree with Robert. I have a 20X20 garage, and the Mav and a Ranger take up the entire area. If you need space, make it at least a 30X30, so you have room for your compressor, supplies, and to move around the cars you are working on. Good luck with it John, hope it turns out like you want it.:)

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Bigger is always better :)

You'll find, especially since you are building from scratch, that it doesn't cost all that more to build it bigger.

6. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mav 2 dr, 1971 Mav 2 dr...thanks Old Guy!
    Cool John,

Build it as big as you can afford, and as big as Code will allow! Mine is 40'x40' and it is full! There are currently 2 Mavericks, 1 complete junior dragster, 1 junior dragster under construction on a roll-around chassis bench, a 3-wheeler, a riding mower, a couple of push mowers, and assorted parts and tools in there, so it's a little crowded! I'll tell you what though...I absolutely LOVE it. It sure makes a difference when you can just go out in the garage and hang out, even if you're not working on anything.

Good Luck,

Later

7. comet dad

comet dad Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    :2cents: AS BIG AS YOU CAN:2cents: ....... mine is a 24x36 w/ 10' covered area on end (slab 24x46) ........ I wish it was a 30x40 ....... that would have only cost about $1k more ($9k instead of $8k) but wife said that was bigger than the house so NO......Robert

oh well, take what you can get:drink:

8. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    my garage attached to the house is about 26x28. we added a 20x28 carport and another 24x28 garage. now we're thinking of adding a 30x60 stand alone garage. i guarantee there is no such thing as too much garage.:)

9. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    As big as you can...

Yep, I agree, I built a 32 x 50 four years ago, wish it was bigger, and someday I plan adding on already for a workshop, lol. Family and friends thought I was crazy, but if you ever plan on a camper, along with a few other toys, they take a lot of room!

10. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I went as big as the city would allow me to. They had a 700 SF limit on residential out-buildings. Mine is 25x28.
    Another tip go with a tall ceiling either via tall walls or scissor trusses so you have room for a lift in the future.

11. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Great news John. Trust me,, I have a 45 x 36 and it needs to be twice as big. Thought it was huge when I had it built 7 years ago.
    Dan

12. RobertBailey

RobertBailey MCCI & MCG Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Clone,1970 Maverick, 1973 Grabber, 1973 2dr, 1973 Maverick(Parts Car) 2000 Ford SD Truck PowerStroke
    Here is what a 20x20 looks like:eek: . And yes those boxes and the floor next
    to the engine is all salvaged maverick parts. Time for me to build on to mine.:yup:
    Robert

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  13. Russ

Russ Found On Russ's Drive

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    Here's what I plan on doing when ever we get a little more "s-crow" in the house. It's about as big as I can get. approx 24X30. I need a bigger yard

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  14. Maine Mav

Maine Mav Mavericker

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr 302V8 & '72 Maverick 2 Dr 200 I-6
    Congratulations on the garage! I'm building one this year too. My car takes such a beating by the elements and I can't wait to be able to work on the cars without having to worry about the stinking weather!! Like everyone else says, build it as big as you can. Mine is going to be 24X26, but it is going to be on two levels, so it will really be double that size and a 4-car-garage. I'm just going through the permit stage right now and since I have a river behind the house, I'm in a "shoreland - resource protection" zone, which means it is a complete pain in the rump to get the permits.

Here's a photo of a similar garage, not far from my house. The photo shows the rear, lower (basement) level. The upper garage section is at the driveway level.

15. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Well, I totally agree with everyone. I would luv to build a 100x100 building :D but there is a few things that factor into my decision to build what I am building, money is NOT the big issue.
    Those of you that know me, know that the first priority in my life is family, especially my kids. My back yard is 45 ft. deep by around 125 wide. My boys and I play baseball, football, basketball and just about everything we can play in the back yard. So I am not going to take away from that anymore than I have too. I am going to build it 24x24 (12 block high) in front of it I am having a 20x24 ft. concrete poored (gonna have a 1/2 court basketball court.) I am having a small (I call it a closet) room built on the back of the garage with block, that will house my compressor. Doing a few other things to save space. I purchased a 10x10 barn with loft (shed) last year that will be used to store all of the kids bikes, balls and the lawnmowers and so-forth.
    Figuring with the maverick, focus and harley the building will be fine. Plus, this is not my final place to live, plan on moving in a few years (1 more time) and I need to be smart enough to know that the next person might not want to have a 9 car garage:D :huh: :hmmm: , but were I am putting it on the property, it can easily be added to, just not by me;) Sure, they are NEVER big enough, but...its a lot better than what I had :yup: no more crawling around in the dirt :bananaman
    Thanks guys.(y)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005