What width for stock wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by DC12VOLT, May 11, 2011.

1. DC12VOLT

DC12VOLT Fuel Injected

Vehicle:
    Cream 1971 Maverick
    I have 5-lug stock Ford steelies on the front and rear, with 205/75R14's front and 215/70R14's on the back. My question is: Should I go with 235/65's on back or 245/60's on back? And will they fit on the stock wheels?

Also: Should I widen the front tires if I want it to handle better too? Thinking 225/65 or 235/65's?

You may ask: Why 14's? Well, right now I NEED tires (old ones are cracked scarily) but I don't have money for wheels and handling is still a priority. Eventually I will upgrade. But I still have all 4 40-year-old hubcaps to cover the ugliness!

2. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    There are several web sites that indicate recommended wheel widths for various tire sizes. Here's one http://customwheelsmarket.com/rimwheelwidth1.html It doesn't list those sizes (are they available?) but it will give you some ideas. I'm guessing your wheel width is at most 6 inches.

3. DC12VOLT

DC12VOLT Fuel Injected

Vehicle:
    Cream 1971 Maverick
    Did some digging, and yep, they're 6's. Did some more digging, and the sizes that I specified before are uncommon. I haven't really ever payed too much attention to tires until now, so I had no idea wider 14's were so hard to find/expensive. I think I'll just keep the current size until I can get 15" wheels, which should give me quite a bit more tire options, correct?

4. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    That's my plan too. I'm running the stock 14X6 wheels and picked up a set of good 14" tires on Craigslist for $80. They'll have to do for a while.

Also found a pair of new 235/60/15 BFG Radial T/As for about half price on CR. Just need two more and some 15X7 wheels.

5. Streetdeacon

Streetdeacon Streetdeacon

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2dr.
    The stock wheels that came on my car are only 4 1/2" wide. You messure the wheel on the inside of the bead that the tire mounts against. I have 195X75X14 tires on the front and 205X75's on the rear on 14X6" wheels on the car now with American tourqe thrust D wheels. The main thing to watch for in my opion is not to put too wide or big a tire on the rim because it can adversely effect hte handling of the car and the wear of the tire. Your local tire store should have a chart that gives you recomended sizes for wheels widths. :tiphat::drive: