Anyone have/made a steel cowl hood?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by stockhatch, Jan 12, 2009.

1. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I really want a cowl hood, and I really don't want to run hood pins. I am afraid of running glass or cf hoods without pins due to the latch possibly pulling. I have seen it happen on both and the hood go flying, or smash the cowl, windshield and roof.

Anyhow, has anyone made their own steel cowl hood, or had one made? I was looking at this scoop. Not sure if the dimensions will even work. I will measure this weekend to see if it is a workable length and width.

Whachapeeps think? :cool:

2. Fish OutOfWater

Fish OutOfWater Brian

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 71 Plymouth 'cuda440-6
    That just might look great if it can be fit between the scoops on a Grabber hood and finished off nicely. I would have to draw it to know as I just cant picture it in my head. Ray Parrish (Rayzorsharp) has an old grabber hood he isnt using. You could use that one so you dont damage your own. Unless you mean on a stock hood, the I say thats still ok, but what do you have against hood pins?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I mean a stock hood. I like Grabber hoods, but don't know if my air cleaner will end up clearing one. I want a cowl for looks, and need one for clearance. I know they serve a purpose, but I don't like the look of hood pins.

4. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    CF is light like fiber, but strong like steel.
    I have never seen one come apart like you describe.
    I have seen more steel hoods fly up than anything myself.
    However that doesn't mean anything...

I dunno, just suprises me to hear you comment that CF hoods will fly up.

5. mavmike72

mavmike72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet with a maverick front end. It has a 1992 5.0 motor in it.
    Thats funny i was searching last night and i came across that same one. I thought about getting it for my stock hood.

6. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I have had two carbon fiber hoods. One on a Talon and one on a Civic. I have seen and heard several instances of the latches pulling out of CF hoods, and have also heard of FOX mustang glass hoods pulling latches. It just makes me nervous, especially if the car may see 120 or 130mph. NOT a good time to have the hood fly up or off. I just trust steel.

7. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    I think one of those would look really nice on a stocker if it follows the side angles of the center ridge.

8. mavmike72

mavmike72 Member

Vehicle:
    Just went out and checked my hood, that one in the is 55 long thats way to long and its too wide. I think there is another one that is smaller that might work better.

9. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
  10. mavmike72

mavmike72 Member

Vehicle:
    The 22 will work but by my measurements 43 in long is the max. But you should be able to cut the length down.........

11. mavmike72

mavmike72 Member

Vehicle:
    You should buy it get it to fit then post pics:biglaugh:lol. No seriouslly i think it would work. But hell im no body man..............

12. Fish OutOfWater

Fish OutOfWater Brian

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 71 Plymouth 'cuda440-6
    hmmm. this is what i thought you had in mind...
    [​IMG]

13. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Nah. I don't care for the look of a Grabber and cowl combined. I like a Grabber OR a cowl, but again, the Grabber hood probably wont give me the clearance I need. I will probably try one of the steel cowl scoops. I have a couple hoods that I can play with. Since the cowl has flanges on it, I was thinking the most seamless look would be to cut a hole in the hood and install the scoop from underneath. Of course the hood will probably try to fold and buckle with a hole that big in it before I can get it all welded up. I may create a brace setup and weld it to the hood before I cut it.

14. daydreamer

daydreamer Mavmenace

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Wilbur Green outta OHIO has a cowl hood on his lg bumper car. looks great. you might contact him and ask all the questions you have.(y)

15. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I wouldn't have an issue with cutting a hole and dropping the scoop in from underneath like you suggest. I did it with an ABS 'prostock' scoop on a Maverick before. The only issue I had was the underhood framework got in the way some.
    I worked around it because I didn't own a welder at that time. Now I would cut the offending braces out of the way, then weld them back after installing the scoop.

I would also spot weld the metal scoop to the metal hood, so as not to create enough heat to warp the metals. Then get some seam filler and blend the two parts together. Something sturdy enough to take the flex and expansion/contraction of the metals.

I like the idea of putting the scoop in from underneath because it allows you to keep the flange of the scoop, but hide it. That way you don't have to bulk up the hood surface to cover it up.

Oh, and on the Grabber hood, it offers no extra clearance over the stock hood. It seems you had that on your mind, but weren't exactly sure...