neutral safety switch and BU light switch

Discussion in 'Technical' started by EFIMAV, Jul 7, 2013.

1. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    I've converted from a column shift to a floor shift so I need to wire in the switches on the floor shifter. I have wiring diagrams for a 74 but still can't seem to figure this out. I've posted a pic as well. I have four wires that go to the switch, two that are black/pink and white/pink (in the center of the switch) and two that are gray and black (towards the end of the switch). Also, there is a red/blue wire that loops into the connector. I can see the black/pink and white/pink wires as well as the red/blue wires in the diagram but nothing on the gray and black. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    The floor shift trans uses a neutral safety switch that mounts to the transmission. Not sure if you can use the old column shift switch.

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  4. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    I think I left out some critical info. I have an aftermarket shifter with a NS and BU switch installed. On the factory switch I would think you are simply completing the circuit for the BU light in reverse and the NS switch in P and N. The switches on the shifter would simply bypass the factory column mounted switch and complete the circuit when the aftermarket shifter is in a specified position.

5. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    What I've learned!

For future questions, in the picture I posted you can see the wiring on the BU light and NS switch on a 74. The black/pink and white/pink wires run the BU lights. The red/lt blue wire that loops is the circuit for the NS switch. My wiring diagram shows four wires not five (the fifth one is the red/lt blue that loops) in the connector so not sure what is going on. I think the other two wires (gray/white and black) on the NS switch may be related to the interlock on the 74s (and the shifter position). I spliced the BU light wires and the NS wires (red/lt blue ) to the aftermarket floor shifter with no problems. You don't need the trans mounted factory switches when using the BU and NS switch equipped aftermarket shifters.