1200 mile round trip in the Maverick :)

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Charlie, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Charlie

Charlie maverick.to/grabber

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick Grabber (Modified)
    A couple weeks ago I drove my Maverick from Indianapolis to Alabama and back. It drove great! It was a lot of fun.

The only issue was once during a period of stopped traffic on I-65, it was very hot and the ignition started breaking up. After we got rolling it was fine, I'm guessing the coil got overheated (grabbed a spare just in case but didn't need it).

Got 16 MPG too.... even taking back roads.

Has anyone taken a long road trip with their Mav/Comet lately? It had been about 5 years since I did anything this big. It ended up being a lot more fun than I expected. Get your cars out and drive 'em! :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Last big road trip I did in my Mav(my blue one) was cross country from ridgecrest cali to buffalo NY when I got out of the navy.It was fun but the wife swore she would never do it again in a Mav.That was 20 years ago...LOL...I think it was 2700 miles.Got 22 MPG on that trip.

3. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    For the past several years I have driven to Biloxi (1300 miles round trip) for Cruisin the Coast, or Tallahassee (1860 miles round trip) tip pick up Dad for Cruisin the Coast. (Need I mention that we cruise a lot while there?) The car was great. I really enjoyed the experience. Lots a of drama last year but I made it without having to slow up. I love driving my car and cant wait to get it back out for the trip this year. I usually avg 20+ while on the hwy.

4. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Charlie:

Just got back from the Hot Rod POWER TOUR 2009 and drove it in a 71 Maverick Grabber 331 , and a 75 Comet 347 .. 3505 miles total for each car. This is the fourth Power Tour for us and each tour averaged about 2800 miles or more. I tried to generate some interest with others prior to our departure from Florida with other Maverick and Comet owners to arrange a meet along the way traveling through the various States covered on the tour . The only guys that were interested were Tony and Terry Hahn of Somerset , Kentucky. They were at the Somerset , Ky. stop when we got there and showed us their beautiful Mavericks. We are planning to have another tour next year in June . Why don't you arrange to join the group ? I'll keep you posted if you think you may be interested. Chip

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Hey Charlie.....when did you move to Indy?

6. Charlie

Vehicle:
  7. Charlie

Vehicle:
    Very very cool, I would love to do the Power Tour one day if I can get my schedule to work out.

8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    Bride and i drove 3300 miles to the Gathering/ Roundup last year...
    doing it again next month...:thumbs2:...due to new locations...not as far...:cry:
    (may have to go twice)...:rolleyes:

thinking about doing the next Power Tour ...:yup:

...Frank, Effie and Patches...:drive:

9. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    i am planning to do the whole tour...:D

Mike and i did...one day...2 years ago...:bouncy:

...Frank...:rofl:

10. Charlie

Vehicle:
    haha, well at least one day would be nice!

11. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi again Charlie:
    The Hot Rod POWER TOUR will begin for 2010 in JUNE of next year and there will be six stops usually. They will start it this next year from Bristol,Tennessee. The Tour starts where the LAST tour ends the year prior. Bristol , Tennessee was our last stop this year so thats where it will start. The Bristol Race Track complex there is awesome and they will undoubtly have drag races the day they commence and then they go on the the other stops. HOT ROD Magazine will announce their proposed route usually in mid September for the upcoming tour. I'll be glad to keep you posted if you're interested. Its a real hoot and you never seen so many cars in your life.. usually abour 2000 travel on the tour and they "pick up" several hundred cars that travel a short way , or visit their respective stops of the tour as the tour progresses. Its not like a big parade .. although HOT ROD Magazine has their Chevrolet Suburban with flashing lights and banners leading the way from one stop to another..ALL participants are free to travel WHEN THEY WISH .. so a lot of cars leave early since the destination is announced .. they arrive at the stop , punch their Longhauler's cards .. visit the grounds with hundreds of cars already there .. visit the vendors, Edelbrock, Flowmaster, MSD , etc. etc. grab a sandwich and drink and either wait for the "tour" to arrive and park , or go cruising around the town , or to their motel rooms and rest for the next days run . In case of any type of mechanical problems there are boo-koo mechanics that will stop to help you out .. some would run for a fan belt if you lost one .. others would place your car on their trailers and haul you to where you can get more help , you won't be alone long if you pull off the road . Camaradrie is abundant and we always meet a group of really nice people each year . Newbies , and vets alike . I really hope you consider making the tour .. I think EVERYONE should do it at least once.. The "route" that the tour takes always brings you through some of the most beautiful country I have seen. Didn't mean to go on so .. Its just a wonderful experience if you're into "cars" .. I'd sure like to see more Comets and Mavericks on the run .. Ours always get a great response and they walk right by built Camaros , Hot Mustangs , T-Buckets .. I've heard them say .. Oh look !!! Its a Maverick .. or What is it ? .. Its great being able to represent our type cars in a positive way and I'd sure like to see more of you guys out there . Try to make it if you can . You'll love it ..
    Chip :thumbs2:

12. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
  13. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    In the past 4 years, I've driven my Mavericks far enough to circle the earth 3 1/2 times - and still loving it. :yup: 10,000 miles of it in a '74 Grabber and the rest in my '72.