17" AR Maverick Wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by rotorr22, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Mel Moeller

Mel Moeller Maverick Moe

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick, Two 1973 Mavericks, 1974 Mercury Comet

Ed... do you think my 71 would set ok with this size wheels and tires for normal street driving?

2. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD
    I'll let you know. I am updating my suspension and lowering the car some. All I can say is that NOTHING can handle worse than a stock Maverick/Comet IMO.......Nothing! My car wallowed down the road with 14's and felt like it would roll over in turns. The stock power assisted steering was the worst and the bump steer was scary. My Focus and old Mustang GT handled like a Ferrari's in comparison. In addition to the 17's, I'm lowering the car 1" and performing the Shelby drop, adding composite rear monoleafs, a rear sway bar and premium/adjustable shocks all around. Up front, I'm modifying the stock control arms to a roller configuration, adding roller spring perches and modifying the struts to add a spherical bearing and eliminate the rubber bushing. I expect it to ride firm, but turn flat. The Unisteer R&P will hopefully tighten up the steering somewhat.

I think you can achieve some, if not all of these objectives with 15's. I just think the 17's bring the car into the 21st century. I love the way they look on the car. Heck, my Focus has 16's.

Mel Moeller likes this.
  3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    A 275/40/17'is pretty tight in the rear wheel well, I tried one tonight.

Static likes this.
  4. Mel Moeller

Mel Moeller Maverick Moe

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick, Two 1973 Mavericks, 1974 Mercury Comet
    I agree Ed. I think I will sell my 15 x 8 center line wheels I just restored and go with the 17's I am also going to take my steering out and go with a Mustang II front end of some kind. I am not sure though, if I am going to lower the front end. Suspension is my first big project on the car. Am definitely going to follow info on your set up.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  5. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD
    Mel,

There are lots of options in regards to the suspension. I'm just trying to improve the stock suspension due to budgetary reasons and see how much improvement I get. I've taken so much weight off of the front end that it will look like a 60's Gasser if I don't lower it.