1973: why tray or glove box?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by obmav, Apr 23, 2006.

1. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    What are you saying? That paint job looks pretty good to me, considering mine has 3 different shades of primer and the factory tan paint showing through. Do you only paint your personal cars? Would you paint someone elses?

2. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    Last plee for help Jamie, how about that tray and/or brkts?:( I'm working on the interior now and it is verry much needed, thanks.

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Ray

I have a brochure (somewhere) that features that glove box door. It was an aftermarket item. Email me before the Round-Up and I will bring it with me and show it to you. Otherwise....I have never seen one.

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Cool..I'd like to see it. What's the chances in getting a scanned copy of it? Thanks Craig

5. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Gene, I can paint somebody elses car but it would take a long time and would likely be quite expensive. My bread and butter is insurance jobs so I have to cater to those guys. After I close shop, I usually go home and eat supper, then go back to the shop to work on my own car from about 8p.m. till midnight. It would be very hard to get me to do someone elses car like that after hours...but I could be coerced. :)

6. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Does the glove box door look like the Brazilian Maverick glove box door? Perhaps Ford shipped some to the USA for installation.

7. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    I'm not sure what they look like...I'll have to try to locate a pic of one. Here's a pic of mine on this auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

8. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Oh ... I noticed that in the auction ... thought it was a homemade contraption ... :) The Brazilian glove box doors were metal and actually in the dash ... a hole would have to be cut to in the dash to install it ...

I would say that since you now own that car ... you probably also own the rarest Maverick part!

9. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I found the advertisement. That is a MAV-O-GLOVE BOX LID from KININGHAM MOTORING SPECIALTIES out of San Lorenzo, CA. If I still had my scanner hooked up....I could post a picture of it. I will try taking a picture with my camera.

10. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Never saw one of those before,, pretty cool. Looks like a nice car Ray.
    Dan

11. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    I took some pictures of the two items I have.

Attached Files:

12. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Craig, that is awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to find this. I owe you one buddy. (y)

13. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    That is really neat, I've never seen one, and that ad..makes me want to call them and have one installed on my 73! :rolleyes:

14. awannabegrabber

awannabegrabber Always Learning

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick with a trim package
    is it a hard conversion to make.

15. roger628

roger628 Member

Vehicle:
    years ago 72 Comet LDO, 302, C4, PS , AC
    seat belt lights, seat belts-etc

I have seen some talk on this thread about the mysteries of the seat belt light. Here's the rundown. The light was included on all models built after January 1st, 1972. It was a federal safety requirement. At this time, retractors were also made standard, front and rear. Most 1972s had the light smack in the center of the passenger side panel, except for LDO versions, where the woodtone strip would have covered it. So LDOs hung the light underneath the dash, above the tray. In 1973, it was moved into the instrument cluster, where it remained until the end. My dad bought a late production Comet Custom option in August of '72 and late 72's had some differences also. On Comets, the tailights were actually '73 versions with a bigger backup light lens. Earlier ones said '70 on the light lens and were actually from the Montego. Another difference was the AC vents, late production '72 used the '73 style vertical fins instead of the earlier horizontal type. Also, at some point in '72, they put in provisions for front kick panel speakers, in anticipation of the 1973 AM-FM Stereo option.