351 Windsor Swap

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by facelessnumber, Mar 2, 2011.

1. cyclonewill

cyclonewill Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick - (2)72 Maverick- 64 comet cyclone- 69 mustang 70 cougar -69 Ranchero - 73 Pinto
    I went all over my 392 when I first tried to start it. I thought it might have been a 302 cam, got it to run with the 302 firing order, but still not right. It took me about a week of messing with it after work before I realized I had stabbed the distributor 180 degrees out.:slap:

2. facelessnumber

facelessnumber Drew Pittman

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    Yeah, I've sure done that one before. Ever since I put the SBC in my '91 Bravada I have learned to rotate the balancer to TDC before I put the valve covers on.

3. Awesome_X

Awesome_X Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Rx8 with mods... hopefuly some time soon I will have another maverick and have time to work on it!
    Sweet man glad to see everything worked out. Come on dry pavement :thumbs2: Now I can't wait to get started on mine again. Been busy lately and haven't even had time to check in here in a long time.

4. kafrompa

kafrompa Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet, 2006 FiveHundred, 2007 Focus and 2008 Ranger XLT
    which is most difficult and costly, the 302 or the 351c to install in a Maverick or Comet? I would imagine the 351c. and will they both require a modification of the shock towers? kafrompa

5. kafrompa

kafrompa Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet, 2006 FiveHundred, 2007 Focus and 2008 Ranger XLT
    excuse the 17:50 question, I meant to ask if the installation of a 351w woud be more difficult and costly than a 302 to install into my 1971 Comet.

6. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Yes the 351W or C will be harder to install than a 302. None REQUIRE modification of the shock towers but it does make changing plugs easier. The problem is the exhaust.......

7. facelessnumber

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    Just thought I'd update... Still driving! The oil pressure problem I mentioned in this thread got resolved when I rolled in a new set of bearings a while back. Power steering, power brakes, AC, all still coexisting in tight quarters and working fine.

Not sure if I ever posted before/after shots...

206043_2310446883636_1323294578_32746984_7946389_n.jpg

This is pretty recent. The only changes from this pic are the distributor- I've gone back to the Accel billet one, satin black cap. And I've gone to a clutch fan with a conventional shroud. Otherwise, the pic above is how it looks today.

These next two here are older. First there's the final shot taken of the 302 before I did the swap. And then just for fun I've also included the oldest engine shot I have. This was right after I bought the car, but even by then I'd already made changes. Plug wires, distributor, air cleaner were added by me. Otherwise that pic shows what I first started with.

Attached Files:

8. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Nicely done upgrade. Was the performance gain of the 351 what u expected?
    Also, what kind of solenoid is that on the pass side fenderwell nx to the relays?

9. facelessnumber

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber

I'd have to say yes. I am not at all disappointed by how it runs! Good and strong across a wide range of RPMs. The power is always there when I want it, it's hell on the highway and the torque is just brutal. Feels like it could pull a school bus out of a mud hole if it could get any traction. That's the only problem. Can't give it much throttle from a stop without breaking loose... I'll fix that later. For now it's a good problem to have. :D

The solenoid is just a later model Ford solenoid, like the type used on fox bodies.

10. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Glad to hear your oil pressure issue is solved Drew...Told yah you would like the torque...:burnout:

11. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Ok! Gud to know. Thanks for the info. Glad it was worth the effort - I was following ur progress while working on it. (y)

12. facelessnumber

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    Well, I finally blew it up! Good riddance to that tired old block, lesson learned. Story and buildup of the new shortblock is here.