Ac

Discussion in 'Technical' started by just1993, Jul 16, 2008.

1. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    I have never owned a car with AC. I don't know the first thing about it. My chiltons book says almost nothing about AC. I just finishes my 76 4 door as some of you might have seen. I 'm thinking of adding AC. I have an AC box for under the dash and someone on this forum has the items under the hood that I can purchase. My question, is there any info on all the lines and where things are mounted, vacuum lines, ect info available.
    Thanks Mike

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Converting over to a factory air system is a a lot of work. I've done it. Biggest problem is all the doors have vacuum motors and finding a good vacuum switch for the dash is hard sometimes. Plus you will need the vacuum manifold/plug with all the correct lines to operate them in the correct sequence. The box itself is usually not in the best of shape after 30 or more years. Seals are worn, linkages are rusted, etc. I would recommend going after market.

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    A set of Ford Service Manuals would be your friend. If you have most of the parts, I think you can get a working system up and going.

4. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    Thanks I guess I will have to do a little more research and make a decision.

5. ltret98

ltret98 Member

Check out 'RAINBOW PRODUCTS" out of Mt. Ulla, NC...ordered an electronical controlled system from them for my Ranchero....reasonable prices and good service..same components as major aftemarket suppliers, just not paying for the name.

6. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I agree on going aftermarket on a car that didn't have it to start with... for that fact, even a car that had it that was removed or partially removed.

Vintage air (and others) makes nice pieces and you get a complete kit thats all new and you don't have to worry about finding this or that, and wondering if it will all work together