B&M Starshifter

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by 73dragmav, Feb 9, 2018.

1. 73dragmav

73dragmav Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    I am in the process of finishing up the install of a B&M StarShifter on my '73. The other night, I noticed that there appears to be two 'lock' positions for Park and it was not going all the way into the second one. I got under and tried to adjust it to this spot (shifter all the way forward, trans in park) and then it wouldn't go all the way into low gear. Has anyone installed this shifter on their Mav? Did you notice the same issue? It seems to go through all the gears and locks out just fine but it seems like something might be mis-adjusted since it isn't letting it go all the way forward.

One other question: what length shift cable did you use? The 5-ft included seems to work but might be a bit long.

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 64 Falcon 2 door wagon 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4
    I cant answer your question about the star shifter because I have the mega shifter but I do know that the cable length should not be any shorter as it put more tension on the cable and will cause premature failure.

I adjust mine by taking cable loose and put transmission in park and adjust cable so it goes into transmission lever easily then take cable off again and shift transmission into neutral and then shifter into neutral and then check that cable goes into transmission lever easily. If you have somebody to help you you could do this in all the gears

3. jbrich

jbrich Johnny

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick
    Hi 73dragmav,
    Step 17 in the installation instructions gives the adjustment procedure.
    It says the forward park position is for GM applications and not used by Fords.
    The cable may seem to be too long, but that length allows for wider radius bends so the cable slides more easily.

4. 73dragmav

73dragmav Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    Psh...who reads instructions? ;) I must have overlooked that part when I read through it while doing my install, thanks for paying better attention than me :LOL: