Battery won't stay charged

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Krax, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Krax

Krax Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    I have a 73 Maverick, and I bought a new alternator, and the light was still on, had it tested said it wasn't charging the battery. So I traded it in for a new one today, still light was on, won't charge. I have a new voltage regulator and battery, and for a while the light was off, but it was still dying, and when i hit bumps it was like on and off on and off on a dirt road, then stayed on, but it still died when the light wasn't on. Any suggestions? I just got it legal and I'm afraid to drive it anywhere because of the battery charging problem, and it really sucks.

2. Fordmaster169

Fordmaster169 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 MavPro Street Project, 1972 F-100 stepside 4X4, 2015 F150 4X4, 2ea 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab step sides
    First thing I would check is the wiring on the back of the ALT. There are 2 push on connectors that sometimes come off or do not make a good connection. Then I would look at the wiring to the Regulator to see if it is all good to go and making a good connection. Then I would check the fusible link at the starter solenoid to make sure it is good. From the sounds of it, it is a wiring problem that when you hit bumps it connects for a little bit then the connection goes away. Good luck on the search.

3. Krax

Krax Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    The fusable link? Whats that? Or rather where? I made sure I plugged in the connections on the back of the alternator as good as I could.

4. Fordmaster169

Fordmaster169 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 MavPro Street Project, 1972 F-100 stepside 4X4, 2015 F150 4X4, 2ea 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab step sides
    If you look on the battery side of the starter solenoid you will see some other wires than the battery cable bolted on with it. They will have what looks like a piece of plastic molded in them just before the eyelet to bolt them on. That is the fusible link. Sometimes they get corroded, weak and brake inside, and sometimes they get blown from a short or too much current draw. Checking them with an Ohm meter sometimes will show they are good, I always check them with a test light so they have some Amp draw on them.

5. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    Fordmaster is on the right track,I believe. I would just replace them no matter what they look like! They are inexpensive,and available at most any auto parts store. They usually come with the connectors to install them,but if not,these are readily available too!:)