Captain's Comet

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by CaptainComet, May 18, 2009.

1. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    Looks good, If you want to add a little bling to the hood maverickman carbon sells a full carbon fiber comet hood scoop $375. I donated a original gt scoop so he could copy it. Oh! FYI you should come up to the NPD show in Silver Springs for the 24th and Final show.

2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I have been working toward getting the Comet GT Hood Scoop on the car. The first step was to get rid of the old triangular Edelbrock foam air cleaner I was running when I was just bracket racing the car. If your motor backfires, poof, foam disappears. It probably goes molten, and gets sucked into the carb. I was running it mainly because I got it out of a stash of parts left over after a buddy passed away to soon, but even now, he is probably waving a disapproving finger at me ... "Uh, Jeff, you know .... that thing is a piece of @#$@ .... that's why it was in my garage instead of on one of my cars." ;)

I rummaged through some of my stuff I have hoarded here. It looks like this is probably the fourth air cleaner I ran on this car, between two motors. The taller height of the 351W forced a change. I recently added a 1 inch carb spacer. The intake manifold is an Edelbrock Performer (not the RPM version), and it had always needed to get the carb up higher. Getting everything to fit was the issue.

I started with the idea of running a drop base, or the bottom of an old 351W stock air cleaner, sealed up to the hood, with a small lid and filter that would rise into the scoop opening, but couldn't get a collection of parts that would work together. Ultimately, the perfect solution was a simple 9" chrome air cleaner. Fits in the hole I already cut in the hood. If the scoop allows it, a 1/4" spacer ring may be useful to get the filter a little higher, but it is pretty close now.

Then I went to work on the scoop. I posted a tech article about it ....
    http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/repairing-a-comet-gt-hood-scoop.116352/

Before pics ...

Progress pics ...

"Mostly done" pics ....

I block-sanded this whole scoop 3+ hours to get rid of the last bits of paint. Still have fussy touch-ups to do around the edges and sharpen up the lines. Plenty to do yet, but I am happy with what I am seeing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet

Hey Cap:
    Nice Work ! I have a COMPLETE FIBERGLASS COMET HOOD with a Tall Scoop in my parts trailer that I used to run about 15 years ago . I bought an entire 72 Racing Comet , had Fiberglass Doors , Fenders, Hood , Trunk Lid and Lexan Windows .. Sold everything but the HOOD .. Its in great shape .. Set up for ' Four ' Hood Pins . I probably will NEVER have a use for it so If you know of anyone that's interested . Pick up only .. won't ship .. $ 400.00 .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

4. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Cap:
    When I was experimenting with cowl leaks much earlier .. I found that a good SIGN COMPANY is a source for the
    Magnetic Sheets . I bought a roll for a real good price . Don't have it now but it was easy to work with . A Sharp Pair of Scissors is the tool I used to ' shape ' the cover I utilized for a time.
    You probably have this all dialed in .. but in case I could help I posted .
    Thanks,
    Cometized
    (Chip)

5. CaptainComet

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Hi Chip,
    Regarding magnetic sheets ... my wife works at a big printing company, and she has access to this material. She has made some 2x3 foot prints of her photos just for the heck of it. One is stuck to the side of our dryer, had another posted on our fridge for a while. The ones on the car now are just scraps she had lying around.

6. CaptainComet

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Slow progress is better than NO progress....

After 5 months of not posting anything, I found myself with a Sunday afternoon with no other pressing issues to attend to. It had rained and actually dropped the outside temp to 80! Whoo-hoo ... out to garage I went.

I got the hood scoop fitted to the hood. This involved the leap of faith of drilling more holes into my already holey, but rust-free Comet hood. All the studs are in place and the scoop is set in where it was destined to be. I am not posting any pics because everything just got uglier.

Tune in again in another 5 months when I weld up the extraneous holes from the other scoop I was running.

blugene and Hotrock like this.
  7. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    and I thought I was slow!!!!! :huh:

At least you made some progress..... You are right about one thing, it's too damn hot and humid to work on anything.....

8. CaptainComet

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Frank,
    You are the opposite of slow.
    I will say one thing ... walking past the car each day, with the different scoop in place, is a motivator. I put the other scoop on the car around 1994 or so. It got the grabber rear spoiler around 1997. It has looked basically the same outside since then.
    To have it look significantly different for the first time in 20+ years .... weird. Definitely good, but weird.

9. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    If you wanna get really weird, get it running and back it out in the driveway..... That would be some down right freaky shizit right there..... :thumbs2:

blugene likes this.