Compressors!

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by JoeBob1901, Jun 20, 2005.

1. madmav73

madmav73 Member

i just bought that same compressor got it to my shop on weds night w/ the help of 3 friends. bought them wendys for their troubles. qit will also be awhile b4 i get mine runnin cuz i am always workin and dont have too much time. so for now it will sit all nice and pretty next to my brand new millermatic 210 that i also havent been able to use cause im not gettin enough power out of my 220 outlet.

2. 1972Grabber

1972Grabber Always Broke

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    I had a 60 gallon 6.5 hp 230V Craftsman. It was stolen from my van while I was in the local Pick-n-pull in Va Beach. :mad: It was loud as heck and I would definately recommend moving it outside the shop. Otherwise a great compressor and had no trouble keeping up with a spray gun or impact wrench. :2cents:

3. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    I got my air compressor running today. It was worth the wait and hard work. I feel like I just restored a Maverick or something. I stood back and looked at the finished product and felt proud of what I accomplished. Now its time to get to restoring my Mav. The air will make it a lot easier.

4. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Me and my dad split the cost on a new 7hp 60 gallon. It flows 15CFM@90PSI. Im hoping it will hang with a LVLP paint gun...Just finished plumbing the shop with iron pipe, so I should be able to play with it this week.

5. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    I must have been thinking the same thing because I just post something like this. Is a 33 gallon to small for working in the garage thats on the house. My bedroom is behind the garage wall so how loud is loud. Loud enough that the wifey will make me get out the garage?...lol...will a smaller compressor be just as loud? Or do I need to go bigger?

6. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    The golden rule is to buy as much compressor as you can afford. You cant go too big, but can easily go too small. Whatever you buy, make sure it is OILED, and not OIL-LESS. The oil-less compressors die in short order and are LOUD!

7. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Thanks, Until I can get the garage in the backyard...I will try the 33gal 5hp compressor. I will have to check to make sure it says oiled. That way I can aleast roll it out the garage when I'm using it. Then go with a 60gal or better when I get the other garage.

8. J_dub

J_dub Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick Grabber
    I need help im currently in the market for a compressor but I am compressor stupid i dont really know the first the about compressors or air tools expcept the absolute basics like the compressor compresses the air woo hoo that about sums up my knowledge,all i know is I really want an air setup that runs off a standard household current and ill get the biggest bang for my buck if anyone has a good compressor in mind please let me know also if you know of a website where i can get a crash corse in air compressor lingo like what does cfm stand for and all that jaz that would be great to.

9. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    I have a bike pump and one of those eleven gallon reserve air tanks you bring to the track in case you need a pound or two added to your slicks.
    hehehehe
    Actually, I'm waiting on a house with a garage or shop with room to work in before getting a compressor unless I come across an incredible deal on something.

10. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    CFM if a measure of airflow. The higher the better, and most air tools run around 90psi of pressure. Look for a CFM rating of at least 9 or 10 at 90psi, and you will be able to run MOST air tools. 13+ CFM at 90psi and you can even run some paint guns. As stated above, do NOT buy an oil-less compressor unless you are in a pinch and just have to have something. Generally, the best compressors will be belt driven, and oiled. All the tank does is provide volume, which allows the compressor motor to cycle on and off less often, so they arent AS important as a good motor and cylinders. I would try to save for an oiled, belt-driven, 60+ gallon, 10+CFM at 90psi compressor. It would be a good start and would run many tools. They can be had for around $400, with sales and deals putting them as low as $300 at times.

11. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    I have been looking around & came up with this: its oiled & belt driven.
    function noMediumImage(element) {(element.src) = "/lowes2/images/general/mediummissingimage.jpg";}function openImage(url) {newWidnow=window.open(url, "ProductImage", "width=320, height=350, resizable=yes");}[​IMG]

[​IMG]Kobalt®
    7 HP (Peak) 60 Gallon Stationary Oil Lubricated Air Compressor

Item #: 134819 Model: K7060HFV$499.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Because product availability varies by area, please enter your local zip code to see item availability.Zip Code: Already have an account with Lowe's? Log in.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] (3.8) 13.3 SCFM @ 90 psi
    12,000 hour pump life
    High output cast iron pump design
    3-year warranty on cast iron pump

•See Our Rebates
    This would be my 1st on so I need to know what size in to get, what foot is needed for a 20x20. Basiclly everything to get started.

12. JHodges

JHodges thumper

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 351w swap, 1965 Mustang 355 glide, 1993 civic daily driver
    I have a powertrain compressor. 6hp 60 gallon twin cylinder 12cfm. I bought it for $440.

13. Mavericknutt

Mavericknutt member

Vehicle:
    1971 maverick 2dr m2 front end coil over ladder bar rear suspension 472 ci. C-6 tranny
    I have a 7hp 80 gallon 2 stage Sailor Beal.....It does what I need:yup:

14. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    It must take a long time to fill up that 11 gallon air tank with that bike pump! :rofl2:

I have a 7hp 60 gallon Husky upright with 100% duty cycle rating. It's as tall as I am (but then, I'm not all that tall :( )

15. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    I am in the process of getting a new compressor. I am looking at a 5 HP 60 gallon upright twin. It will wire right in at the 220 line. I already have the drier and hoses from the last one.