Disc Brake Spindle Gasket?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by silver70, Jan 29, 2020.

1. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    Hey again guys. So, I'm getting the brakes back on the Mav so I can get it off the jackstands and rolling again. However, as I was reassembling the right spindle I opened my 1973 Ford Shop Manual for a reference. Now, I have manual disc brakes/spindles off a 1974 Maverick. In my manual it shows a round "gasket" (# 28160) that gets installed onto the spindle prior to the rotor splash shield going on. I don't have that gasket on the left side of the vehicle, which I haven't started working on yet (I took it apart to see if I had lost the gasket for the right side, or if I never even had one to begin with). I don't remember if the '74 spindle set-up ever came with that particular gasket or not. Do I need that gasket, or is there some variation between the exploded diagram shown in the '73 manual and my '74 set-up? Here's the diagram:

[​IMG]

If I happen to need that gasket, where would I find one? I can't find anything on Rock Auto or at the parts stores. Thanks again.

2. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    I'm not sure what that would do, except maybe keep the splash shield from rattling. If the grease seal doesn't keep the lubricant in the hub that gasket sure isn't going to do it.

silver70 likes this.
  3. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    This picture is from the Granada swap kit. You can see the gaskets in the top center, pictured with the tri-bolt retainers. It was made from a thin layer of a white foam material. I have made my own from just a sheet of 1/8" closed cell foam you can get at any hobby store. (new electronics often come wrapped in the stuff too)

I think it is a water seal but could be a harmonic vibration dampener as well. Might also be to keep any wayward bearing grease from migrating up onto the rotor. If the factory figured it should be there that is good enough for me. I would put them in.

SWAP.2.3PBU.AT.LKP.65%208%20inch%2009202017.png

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    silver70 likes this.
  4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I don't have them in my Comet, guess I was too lazy to make new ones.. A light coat of RTV would be fine.

Only purpose I see is to prevent water from seeping from rear side of backing plate, into spindle area. If rust develops could cause seal failure. In the event of grease seal leakage, serves no purpose.

71gold and silver70 like this.
  5. krelboyne

krelboyne Remember

silver70 likes this.
  6. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    Okay... I do have the cork gaskets on there. I just didn't recognize that round gasket in the diagram. It looked like something in addition to the cork gasket. If nobody else has that round gasket, though, I'll assume it's a model year discrepancy or maybe an error with the printed diagram.

7. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Probably an earlier design that was changed on the cars but never updated in the service manual drawings.

Good to know you have the needed parts …………. :cheers:

silver70 likes this.
  8. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    What's funny is the similarity of the part number of the gasket listed in the diagram (28160) and the Ford number for the cork gasket supplied by @krelboyne (C8OZ-2B160-A) . I'm going to assume the cork gasket is just a different version of the pictured gasket, as it is a stand-alone part and not integral to the splash shield, but they serve the exact same purpose. Otherwise, logic dictates that the cork gasket would also be noted in the diagram in addition to the round gasket. Awesome. One more thing checked off the list.

As a side note, I seem to be missing a mounting bolt for the splash shield, so I upgraded both sets, for each side, to grade 8 hardware with serrated external lock washers. It bothers me when things don't match. I would've liked to have kept the factory hardware and just replaced that one bolt with another off a donor car, but the rest of the Mav is far beyond a "concours restoration" at this juncture. Man, I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was younger. I look at some of the mods and ask myself, "WTF was I thinking?" Not a hack job... just very impractical. :coco: The next owner of my car will have a blast driving it. He/she just won't get much for it at Barrett Jackson.

Thanks guys!

Acornridgeman likes this.
  9. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Awesome, Eric ……………….. :)

The 2nd paragraph there made me chuckle out loud 3 times. But for me it is not only in my youth. I've looked at a few things I've tried in the last 10 years and I still shake my head and wonder what I was thinking. Fortunately towards the end I think I have it right. But only time will tell for sure. Barrett Jackson has no fear of me either.

:cheers:

silver70 likes this.
  10. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I made my own gaskets out of some thin white foam packaging material I found at work.

silver70 and rthomas771 like this.
  11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    blk. RTV

silver70 likes this.