Holley Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by Cowboiup1979, Nov 17, 2010.

1. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    LOL. Guess its all in the tuning.
    Dumbest thing I ever did to a Holley was my first Mav with a 650 DP. Milled off the choke housing. As if I needed more air with a 650.....Kids.
    First thing I did with this car after the rebuild was hook up a choke cable. Sure is handy with our chilly morning air.

2. Cowboiup1979

Cowboiup1979 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 ford maverick 302v8
    Don't want to fool with edelbrock, if you are going to learn something, at least learn the more complex, so that the others seem easy in my book.... though that sometimes has left me with a not-so-well-running mav... lol!

I do want to keep this carb, decided that i'm going to go ahead and tear it back down and see what i find. Did notice today that it seems that the accel pump has been damaged? dunno if it's something i did during rebuild, but was dribbling gas onto the intake... i figure, hell if it's getting unbolted from the intake again anyway just go through it again, the rebuild kits are cheap enough, and yes, i use the holley kit, not a knock off... got in trouble when i rebuilt a 2bbl for my first car (89 honda accord) with off brand rebuild kits...

Had it out today and when she's cold, she'll get up and fly... smoked a new(ish) camaro with it... haha

When it's all said and done, she's gonna be a show car... that ideally will decimate just about any KY ricer off the line.. and be a fun thrill to drive... :p

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  3. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    That link is to make sure the secondaries close - never to open the secondary plates. If the secondaies don't open fast enough or as is more often the case if they open too soon you can tune with the appropriate spring.

4. baddad457

baddad457 Member

:slap::16suspect

5. bri

bri midnight special

Vehicle:
    71 comet GT. 414 cu, c-4, 9+, spool 3.25, 35 spline axles, back halved,12 point,,4 whl wilwood discs, 3 link,tubbed. 73 comet sdn 302, 76 comet 2dr 6 cyl, 84 z-28 468. 98 f-150 4x4 5.4, 98 fld 120, 500 detroit. 09 jeep grand cherokee.
    I know this thread is a couple of months old but..before you sink any money into this holley carb. take down the production number off the choke horn , and check to make sure you dont have one of the many holley carbs that were recalled for plating coming off the inside of the float bowls..allowing small chips and pieces to lodge in the valving , its hard to see the debris..but the syptoms are .. good idle, but as soon as you give it some throttle it starts stumbling , pooping and farting out the tailpipe.. and not neccesarily in that order. lol. good luck.