Hot Rod's Maverick project

Discussion in 'Mavericks/Comets in the Movies and Other Media' started by 70ProStreet, Sep 17, 2008.

1. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    Looks great to me. I'd love to see the finished product.
    For the record, I have zero issue with that powertrain in that car.

2. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    back to the beginnings.... have you considered using the adapter originally made for the K car EFI Throttle Body to make something more bolt on, then selling it? there are a lot of ford sixes out there. could be a nice little Niche project for some side cache?.... i like the overall look of the car but am not really into the engine your putting in. i can see it being a good motor, dont get me wrong but there are so many other untried ford mods out there still to be tried. if i was going to do any kind of special build to run something not ford it would either be to make an all wheel drive stock ride height mav OR convert it to alternative fuel or electric.

3. codycr6

codycr6 Member

adaptor

Spectre did something similar to begin with, I would also think that just buying a 1 barrel to 2 barrel adapter, then using most any standard 2 barrel TBI would work. Maybe something like late 80's Chevy 2.8 V6 TBI... you would still have to source an ECM to control it, most reasonable out there is the Megasquirt, which is what Spectre packaged their system off of. Take a look at www.diyautotune.com and you will see many of the parts. Only other mods would be adding coolant temperature and air temperature sensors, which are simple, and putting an O2 sensor bung in you exhaust pipe to tune. I looked at doing a turbocharged 250 six cylinder with either an AOD or T5 in my wife's car, but I would have had to find and rebuild a 250 and put together/adapt the bellhousing, and it was just simpler, more cost effective, and more powerful to install a late model fuel injected/turbocharged 5.0 and 4R70W in it. I am hoping to have this combo together in about a year and a half, not long after my wife finishes the degree she is on now and we move again. In the meantime, we are enjoying the car with the simple 200/C4 combination as a driver!

4. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    ROFL ECHO!!!! yeah one of the mavs i had to sell when i was poor was 200 with three speed manual. that was a great commuter car, i would have never gotten rid of. if i still had it i could see making it EFI.

5. Rajunz

Rajunz Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Man, Cody, you sure spent alot of effort on your post, hope you didn't stay up all night digging that up. Personally I don't see why you keep getting your panties in a wad about the design that was submitted and how it's being enhanced upon. It's not like they're cutting back on the design and making it any less of a car than what it was designed to be. It's a kickass car that will bring alot of representation to the Maverick community.
    You seem to forget, half of the contest was judged by internet voting, obviously alot of people out there liked what they saw, something that will be really different.
    I don't think that Spectre's intent was for you to fully engineer a car for them. This was all that was asked as far as their design criteria!

20% Creativity - The overall vision of the design
    20% Ingenuity - The level of inventiveness and originality in the design
    20% Practicability - The achievability of the design
    20% Affordability - Best bang for the buck
    20% Best use of Spectre Performance's products
    From the pictures that I posted, I'm sure that it's obvious to most that so far in the build the bodywork has not been touched. Not yet.:burnout:

Spectre decided that they wanted to race the car in the future, like they do all of their shop cars, so they ponied up the $$$ for a upgraded coilover suspension and Bear brakes. Both are definitely nice enhancements to the design.​

The rear seat was deleted in my original design. The rear seat area will have a black carpeted platform built over the suspension components that will hold plenty of storage. We already have the stereo components, all Polk Audio. There will be two 10" and 2 amps that will ride between the two rear side panels, where the back of the seat used to ride.

All of the aluminum panels on the car are finished in satin nickel anodizing.​

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. codycr6

codycr6 Member

Maverick

1) Actually, took me about 15 minutes. Contest was still bookmarked on my computer, and all I had to do was hit that handy "reply" button!

2) I am partially going off the drawings you modified showing the other spoiler that Spectre was going to add. Quote "Spectre wants the car to have a Muscular, Road Racer theme to it, so these are the latest sketches that I've come up with."

3) Isn't the car supposed to go on Power Tour? Have you ever done the entire tour, possibly with a passenger? There is not "plenty of luggage space" in a totally stock Maverick, let alone one the trunk has been filled up ahead of time, and your only storage area is your back seat. I understand they want to race the car some in the future, but luggage hitting you in the head if you ever happened to have a fender bender is not one of the compromises I would be thrilled about. Believe it or not, I am hoping for the best with this car and wish you the best of luck...

4) Not going make near as much difference as the angle of the panel is going to. With it vertical or slightly tilted upward, you are going to have a glare issue. With it at the angle it is shown at in the picture, the glare issue will not be as bad from the panel, but you would really need some angle rings around each gauge to straighten your view. Unfortunately, I do not believe these are available for the speedometer and tachometer.

By the way, took ten minutes to post this while also checking for you to see if Auto Meter did make angle rings...easy pickings!

Cody

7. comrick317

comrick317 Banned

Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet
    Do you need a drip tray or a rag or something?:D

8. Rajunz

Rajunz Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Before:

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:thumbs2:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  9. mavmike72

mavmike72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet with a maverick front end. It has a 1992 5.0 motor in it.
    Looks awsome...............hows it run??????????????????

10. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Wow! The car looks awesome!! I would have never considered those wheels for a Mav, but they look awesome!! Thanks! (and keep us posted!)

11. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    those wheels do look sharp

12. comrick317

comrick317 Banned

Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet
    Go to bed Sir Mavowar, don't ya think it's late enough?:rofl::D

13. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    i just wanted see what it looked like if my name was on all posts on the main screen.....:biglaugh:

14. comrick317

comrick317 Banned

Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet
    Yeah i do that ever so often too, hee, hee, hee, man am i ever tired ..... i think .... i'm going to ....be........ ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................:eek:

15. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    Very nice, I love the engine.