How often do you drive your car

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by yellow75, Jun 19, 2014.

1. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD
    About once every two months.

I'm leaving the car in its original condition and driveable until I have all of the new parts and powertrain needed to update it. Once I take it down, I don't want to be waiting for money, parts or anything necessary to complete the job. No more multi year projects!

2. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    When I first got mine on the road back in 2012, I drove it for a month and a half and ended up putting just over a 1000 miles on it. I was so eager to show it off and enjoy driving it that I took it to work a bunch of times, and anywhere else I could, weather permitting.

I'm thinking this next time around, I'll do similar routines, but I like the idea that Don had about ice cream and a few road trips with the kids for shows and events in other cities/provinces.

It took me 10 years to get back into a Maverick and to find a REAL Grabber, and it's been the last two working on it. I wouldn't sell it. My estate might sell it, but I won't!

3. mstolarc

mstolarc Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT (clone)
    Mine sits in the garage during the winter but come late March or early April she's out as often as possible. I always start off the season with a couple of indoor weekend car shows. My Comet has been on the road almost three years and I put five to six thousand miles a season on her. To date just over 12,000 miles since July 2011. I built the car to enjoy it and drive it. It takes a lot of work to keep it looking nice and I spend more time cleaning the Comet in one month then I do my daily driver in two or three years.

I have car shows lined up every Saturday and Sunday from now until October. I'm still new to the hobby so I haven't burned out yet and I am still enjoying the car show circuit. I also take it to weekly cruises a couple of times each week. Still have a full time job co I can't take it out as much as I want to.

My brother just got back from doing the Power Tour and has done it the last three years in three different cars (67 Mustang, 67 Falcon and 66 Fairlane GT 500). I am really considering doing the Power Tour next year with him.

Not a day goes by when I am driving it that I don't get a (y) or :drive: from someone. I love the attention it gets.

4. Crusader

Crusader Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    When I bought it in high school, it was my daily driver for 2 years with no upgrades or modifications other than replacing some worn out front suspension components, a glasspack muffler, 15" wheels, and swapping in 94 Windstar minivan seats. Since then it has mostly served as my backup car after I bought a 98 Ford Contour SVT, and it has had to pull backup duty several times (stupid SVT has broken down on me three times). It sits for now while I finish collecting all of the parts I need to rebuild the whole car, that's this summer's project. After that, I intend for it to be my three season daily driver.

I will never sell it. Having listened to my dad's stories of cars and toys he wishes he never got rid of (73 Mercury Capri among other things) and the stories of people I've run into while driving it, I know better than to get rid of it.

5. kboldin

kboldin Alain De Cadenet Has My Job!

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I drive my car daily, including stop and go traffic all the way home. Mines a complete work horse. I’ve done a good bit of work, complete front suspension rebuild, near complete steering rebuild, brakes completely gone through, front and rear main seals, water pump, timing chain, carb rebuilt etc… Needs the steering box overhauled and rear leaf springs and I think she’ll be back to a well maintained original state. After my engine build is complete, I’ll likely retire her from the daily driving routine. I’d like to focus on the engine bay, rear end upgrades, brake upgrades, a five speed, a few interior upgrades and new paint (maybe). If I lived on the east coast I doubt I would drive my car as nearly as much as I do. However, I really do love to drive it and I would like to go to as many car events as I possibly can!

6. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    Havent had mine out of the garage since November. I probably drove it a dozen times last year. Its been like that for the last 10 years or so. hmm thats about the same time I got married. :rofl2: Still wont ever sell it, first car and had it for 20 years. Someday I think Ill get the A/C back in it and working then maybe drive it more often, but Ive been thinking that for years. Im sure once my 4 year old is a little older and more into cars, shows, and working on them it will be a great toy for us.

7. paperboy

paperboy Member

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick
    Like you, 5 days is a long time for mine to sit in the summer.....it's parked from Nov-April though. I almost went through Maverick withdrawal this past winter!

8. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I drive my car a few time a week in summer and any time of year,weather permitting. I have made several road trips since I acquired it 2009. After the brutal winter this season, I relish any opportunity to take it to the road. I estimate I average 2000-3000mi yearly, most of those local/regional events. My brother and a friend did a stretch of the Power Tour this year "Crown Point IN -Dubuque IA ending Wis. Dells. I wud have been w/ them but had to go south for my wife's birthday celebration/party/mini-family reunion. Anyway, long story short -- I bought the car to enjoy - I believe that entails driving it.

9. SlotlessMan

SlotlessMan A squirrel and his nut

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    About 2-3 times a week.

10. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Weather permitting, as much as possible. usually 2500 to 3500 miles a year.

11. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I put 2200 miles on it since i installed my new speedo. So the math says 1100 miles a year so far... When I add A/C I will drive it more often...

12. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan
    Before I sold my first maverick(in my avatar)I would drive it every chance I got, weather permitting. Never in the rain or snow, just nice days and boy was it fun to drive. Since selling it , I missed it BAD, so am building its twin, and with the different mods this one will have, I am sure it will be driven even more than the last one, cant wait!!!!

13. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    I haven't driven mine since I got back from vacation a month ago. Things have been busy and I'll get her washed and spiffed up and go for a cruise pretty soon! :thumbs2:

14. GreyGhost74

GreyGhost74 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    I drive mine almost every day. Usually not very far (to the store and back, to advanced, etc) On the weekends I have a friend that lives about 30 miles away, I drive it there a lot on the weekends. And I've had one trip to my hometown which is about 50 miles away.

15. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    They are meant to be driven & enjoyed. That's what I do, weather permitting...