Intermittent starting issue

Discussion in 'Technical' started by joerockne, Aug 23, 2021.

1. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    OK I tested the red/blue wire from the ignition switch with the key turned to start. The light did come on.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Looks like you'll have to do some diggin'.

Voltage from red/blue is supposed to travel to neutral safety, apparently getting lost somewhere. Is connector with loop plugged in securely? Be sure individual contact(s) on ends of wires are fully locked in place. As I stated prior, appears to have been apart. By chance is there wiring to the replacement shifter??

Did you check red/blue where it exits engine compartment side of firewall?

3. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    I will have to get the paint of dirt off those wires and see if I can find the wire. IF it lights up at the firewall, then I know there is a break in the wire in that wiring that goes from there under the radiator to the solenoid. It would be a relief to find the problem !

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    finding wiring gremlins are not my favorite treasure hunts. I like to take each situation as such. the treasure is the solution to the situation. there will be pride and satisfaction on the find of each one. the answers to your questions are the clues to finding the treasure. I, we enjoy helping on these hunts...:thumbs2:

5. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    • I agree and appreciate you guys help. Wiring is my least favorite problem to fix ! I would rather swap a motor ! Gotta pay the price to get to the prize.

71gold likes this.
  6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I would use a long jumper wire to go from the last known good voltage point and connect to where you should have voltage and see if that works.

mojo likes this.
  7. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    I cleaned the wires at the firewall lightly with some paint thinner, so I could see the colors. It looked like they had black paint on them. I found the wire. When it quits raining, and my son is here, I am going to check it . If it lights up I guess I will have to remove all that wire under the radiator and find a break somewhere. That is a good idea also bmcdaniel. You could run a dedicated wire for that too if that was the only way. I am ready to here this thing run again. It does have straight pipes with no mufflers ! It was loud last time I started it.

8. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Just a thought, does your solenoid have 2 small wires going to it and could they have gotten switched when you installed the new solenoid?

9. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    It does, but the right colors are in the right places. I am pretty sure I switched them and tried them and it did not work. I will double check that also. Thanks for the idea.

10. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Looking at the front of the solenoid, the left small terminal should get 12 volts from the ignition switch and the right terminal supplies 12 volts to the ignition coil only when cranking. Ground for the solenoid is supplied through the mounting bracket, so that has to have a good clean connection to the car body.

71gold likes this.
  11. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    It has power at the firewall area inside the engine compartment. I am excited to see that. It has to be in that wiring that goes from there under that radiator and to the solenoid.

Krazy Comet likes this.
  12. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Assuming power at driver side of radiator, I'd probably splice in another wire for remainder of run to solenoid..

mojo likes this.
  13. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick

I may do that. Got busy with work and its cold again. I hope to try that shortly.

14. joerockne

joerockne Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    I got it fixed guys ! Thanks for all the help and ideas. I checked the red and blue wire under the radiator, and it was still hot there. I spliced in a wire and it worked. It turned over easily. I filled the carb, and it fired right up and ran for a minute or two. It sounded good. My only concern is I was surprised there was some pressure in the radiator after that short time. I may have had it too full and it may be nothing, I am not sure. I am going to make a little tank to gravity feed the carb, so I can run it a while. I will put the temp gauge on first I think so I can monitor it. I will have to pull the gas tank and clean it. It sat quite a long time. Those rubber hoses on top may be rotted also.

bmcdaniel, jasonwthompson and 71gold like this.
  15. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear that ordeal is finally over....:thumbs2::thumbs2::thumbs2:

joerockne likes this.