Major set back AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Tech & Talk' started by blugene, Aug 24, 2014.

1. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  2. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    Might be cheaper and take less time overall to find a j/y "pull-out" from a comparable model-year truck and swap in the entire thing. These engines are designed to run several hundred thousand miles. Have you tried checking E-Bay for scrappers offering engines?

3. Rickeeling

Rickeeling Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 73 Maverick with a 302
    That bites. I hope they give you a new motor. If that happens around Ft, Campbell all you have to do is go to the IG and there company gets put on a black list. No army or government personnel are allowed to walk in the front door with out receiving an article 15. and getting smoked my your 1st Sargent. Good Luck.

4. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Wow, that sucks. I would search for a decent replacement from a salvage yard.

5. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/aos/4615398018.html
    I called him and he wanted $2500 to rebuild it. He claims not to remember me.. He talks to me like a recording.. He goes into his sales pitch about all the stuff he replaces each and every time he does a rebuild. I told him maybe we can leave the extras alone to save some money on that since they are basically new. He said since it more than likely over heated then he needs to change them. Still insisting the vehicle over heated.. Drives me nuts. He did in turn say he would wave the $500 block charge and do it for $2000. But I have to get it to him. Last time he sent a wrecker and I only paid $100 towards that. He's 98 miles from me.
    I search and search the net for engines and don't see spending $1200 on a motor I have no clue if it will do the same or if it's even good. And me doing the work also to find out I got a bad one.
    He could try and screw me and make me pay more somehow.. I see I could be out as much as $2800 with this guy and the towing. I will take a few days to think and search a little more before making the decision.
    I contacted OReiley's and they want $3300+ for a long block that will take min 3 weeks to get.

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I wouldn't go back to the same guy again, obviously he does crappy work. Don't you have a actual Engine Machine shop around? Maybe they need some new gates, or bars for their windows?

7. doncomfort

doncomfort MCCI Membership Director

Vehicle:
    74 maverick convertible, 72 Sprint
    Let me get this straight. You got into a shouting match over the a/c line when you picked it up. You took it back just before the warranty ran out for a rear seal. Then 6 months later the bottom end let go. That about right? Sounds fishy to me, like they set you up knowing your warranty was up in 2 days. I have trust issues with anyone doing work for me, too many crooks and idiots out there. Good luck getting it worked out. I know how tough it can be when the work truck goes down.

8. draggon13

draggon13 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick V8 5 Speed
    Gene,

What year is your truck and what engine is in it?
    Richard

by the way, I do not see a green Comet hood on either car... LOL

9. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I totally understand the thinking Don. I felt the same way.. But I don't know so.. I lean towards he didn't do anything on purpose. He's not the one actually turning the wrenches also.. I seen no less than 10 guys and his dad running around the shop.
    lol.. That hood is in the storage and it still has the floaters on it haha.. Too nice of a hood to let go or make it fit on the truck lol.
    The truck is a 03 with a 4.7 and is a 4x4.. The title says 02 but when I tell parts guys that I tend to get the wrong parts.

10. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I have one local call tomorrow then clear the rest of the week. I plan to add some more parts to the 72.. The front wheels for sure tomorrow. They are just roll around units. I'm going to squeeze a rear end into my less than zero budget just so I can keep going on it.. The motor work will be going on a card anyway :cry:

11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    "I have to get it to him. Last time he sent a wrecker and I only paid $100 towards that. He's 98 miles from me."

Hagerty Ins...free ...:thumbs2:

12. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Yea.. I have heard that before. AAA sent someone after me when it happened. I had a trailer with me and because it had two axles it was not covered, at least that's what I was told at that time. Luckily a friend was not far behind me and he stopped. He took it with him while I waited.. I think I will call AAA and ask some questions..

13. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    So I was a little off on the mileage.. Truck maint list 2014-08-27 15.14.36.jpg

14. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Check out www.rockauto.com for a long block. Not sure what year your truck is but a 2005 4wd long block is right at $2600 plus core charge which you get back when you return the old engine. I know there is double freight but there are discount codes good for 5% off that would help with the costs.

15. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    After searching for about 4 hours today I think I found something. A place in the Dallas area has long blocks for $2350 + $350 core. The DEAL is that they provide a 3 yr unlimited mileage warranty. No taxes since I am paying with a business card out of Oklahoma. He's calling me in the morning with all the details.
    http://agaptexasengines.com/1067372.html