Melvin's Ford Parts

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by DocRoche, Nov 11, 2015.

1. DocRoche

DocRoche Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    I ordered a seal last week and got a confirmation order email but never got any kind of notice saying the part had shipped or anything. Just curious if anyone has done business with them and if this is normal. I don't even think they have charged my card yet. Just curious.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Might be best to contact Melvin's and ask them.

3. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    My experience with them has been good.

4. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Send them an email and ask. I done a lot of business with Melvin's...but I'm a walk-in customer.

5. DocRoche

DocRoche Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks guys

6. DocRoche

DocRoche Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    Good to know this. But on the tank itself, you guys just get a Mustang of the same year?

7. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    Yeh I noticed alot of the stuff in their catalog is high priced compared to other places,when it is parts available elsewhere.

8. BKelley

BKelley Comet Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    "72" Comet GT
    Melvins is a small mom and pop operation, therefore they do not buy the same quantity (bulk) as a larger company can. However, as with ANY company selling parts, some items will be overpriced and some very affordable. I for one have never opened a catalog and seen an overpriced item and based a determination that EVERYTHING they sell is overpriced. Comparative shopping has always been a good thing for the free enterprise system of this great country to work, which is why some of us helped Melvin to assemble a Maverick parts specific catalog to compete with another Maverick specific parts supplier. I can assure you that none of us in Georgia have any sort of a vested interest in Melvins. What we do have is a wonderful, friendly, and honest parts supplier in our hometown.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  9. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    All my experiences with Melvin's have been great. The communication and willingness to help stands leaps and bounds above others out there.

You do have to understand they are very much a small operations in comparison to their competition. Like anything you buy, you as a consumer need to be aware of what you are but and the cost. It is not out of the norm for me to place an order with Summit and Jeg's in the same way do to pricing and availability.

10. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    I'm grateful there is a PARTS " source " for my Comets and Mavericks !! Glad they're in business.. Never had a problem with anything I've ordered from them. Just my take on it !
    Cometized
    (Chip)

11. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    To say that the Georgia boys had a vested interest in it is true to a point just not monetary wise, they worked for years to help create the catalog of the most parts that fit Mavericks and Comets all at one place and just want the word to get out, and even if they get a good discount on parts they deserve it for their effort.

12. DocRoche

DocRoche Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    To give an update on the original topic, I contacted them this morning to inquire about the status of my order. They were extremely polite and when I informed them that I did not get a shipping confirmation they stated that they usually only do that when it is specified in the special instructions on the order. Should be there today or tomorrow.

I think the majority of people shop around for the best price. But if I am in urgent need of a part I'll pay a little more to have it immediately. Just me though and I am rarely in that type of situation.

13. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    When someone says "overpriced", I have to ask compared to what? You can't always expect an O.E.M. part that is not widely available to be cheap like aftermarket parts, or widely available parts that your local parts house has (or can order for you). And as stated previously, the small "mom & pop" businesses are not going to be able to offer prices like the big companies such as Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc.

14. doncomfort

doncomfort MCCI Membership Director

Vehicle:
    74 maverick convertible, 72 Sprint
    I use Melvins whenever I can. They usually do not send me a shipping notification, the parts just arrive, and quickly I might add. I have ordered incorrect parts and have had no trouble exchanging them. They are a great company to do business with and I prefer them over AK.

15. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    I say the question has no answer, because if the parts are not available anywhere else, then they can't logically be called "over-priced".