MIG vs Flux Core--Why polarity change?

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by scooper77515, Mar 10, 2010.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Hey Paul! That actually makes some sense! :clap:

I assumed it would make no difference, as Grabber 5.0 pointed out.

I guess it is a minimal difference, and only really important if you are welding thin metal or want a perfect looking weld?

I will be following the directions and doing what the welder says, just because it is "right" :D

2. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    If your using fluxcore why would you be using CO2 as a shielding gas? Thats why you use fluxcore if you dont have a shielding gas because the shielding is made into the core fo the wire itself. And also because you are able to weld a thicker material. Its also good if your welding where there are windy conditions since the shielding is in the core of the wire it doesnt blow away like a shielding gas does. Anyone who's ever welded in a breezy shop can tell you that when there's a stiff breeze your shielding gas will blow away before the weld penetrates, leaving a nasty pitted weld bead, that may fail.

3. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

Sorry to ask but have you ever welded before? Because flux core simply sucks on any thickness.

4. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    I agree I dont like flux core. You can weld up to 1/4" with a 110 MIG in a single pass. You can weld thicker by making multiple passes if you know what your doing.

5. poil27

poil27 Member

Vehicle:
    I6 maverick 1970
    i'm certified welder fabricator so i know what i'm talking about

there is loads of fluxcore out there and onley some are autoprotected and those auto protected flux are real bad and not good for anay thing

6. poil27

poil27 Member

Vehicle:
    I6 maverick 1970
    try flux core on streight polarity and on co2 gaz and i guaranty you you will love it .... when well ajusted flux peal right off and ther is NO projection whatsoever.

7. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    Nothing against you at all but dont get me started on certified welders. I worked in a Manufacturing plant and thats all we did was weld and cnc. I can't tell you how many guys with "certifications" came in but weren't hired because they couldn't pass the companys welding test! Could not lay a decent bead to save there lives. I am not a certified welder but at least I passed the test.

8. poil27

poil27 Member

Vehicle:
    I6 maverick 1970
    i can sho you pic, you know problem is, on a forum, it's hard to give you exact description. i understand what you say. been there done that ... i just say i've been doing it days in and days out for the last 12 years

9. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    If my bottle ever comes in the mail, I will try it both ways, both polarities, and both shieled and unshielded.

Shouldn't hurt anything.

In fact, the instruction chart inside my welder's lid shows that you CAN use straight polarity with gas and flux core. Check out the top rows for flux core, and the bottom chart is for solid wire. It does say "gas is not required" but says nothing about that you cannot use gas.

And by the way, thanks to all who have shared their thoughts on this. I have welded for years with an arc welder, since high school. Just bought my first harbor freight shielded mig to mess with on this car, and got "decent" with it, but had better luck with Rolandag's gas setup, so when the harbor freight bit the dust, I invested in a gas setup for myself. So, I am still learning...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  10. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

If your just welding normal steel, polarity is not going to make a huge difference on a 110 mig. What makes the biggest difference on the smaller mig is going to be the wire diameter your trying to feed through and the type of wire your using.

11. poil27

poil27 Member

Vehicle:
    I6 maverick 1970
    that's right i personaly wont feed 35 mil and higher wire on a 110 mig welder as it dont push enough amps to work good

23 mil wire is good for thin stuf . but i stick by the tig option for thin metal up to 3/16.
    tig is hard to master but when you know how to use it you wont turn back to mig.

there is good tig /stick/plasma cutter inverter out there for home builder.

12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Currently running (or will be running, it is loaded...) .023 wire, solid. Hoping for the bottle to show up in the mail today...

13. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Hmmm, I have no problem using flux core on 20-22 gauge panels.

14. poil27

poil27 Member

Vehicle:
    I6 maverick 1970
    i don't say it's unusable i say it's unpractical an never used in the industry

15. bomrat

bomrat Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 4dr 347 4r70w
    i put a 80cf on the back of my welder. at the time it was cheaper for me to get than the 40cf, go figure. almost out of gas now, must refill. using gas is the best way to go imo
    built a new welding cart too. its not pretty but it works. i have my mig on one side and the plasma cutter on the side.