"NO VOLTAGE" problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by lilacso, Sep 9, 2012.

1. lilacso

lilacso Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Background:
    Last year during the Adirondack Nationals my Mav overheated and all the wires from the fan to the voltage regulator, solenoid and alternator melted. I replaced everything and put another 60amp alternator in and made it back home. Since I didn't want to go through that again during this year's show, I put in a 1-wire 100amp alternator, took out the voltage regulator and put in a new 2-core aluminum radiator and 16" electric fan. I did not, however run a new wire to the fan, which I think is what the whole problem may be.

So this year, there was a tornado warning so we high-tailed it out of Lake George right before it hit. As I was turning onto Canada Street, blinker stopped blinking and volts dropped right down below 10. My boyfriend said "keep driving, it will charge when we get on the highway." I went to make a right onto the I87 ramp and the car just completely died. We figured out the fuse blew on the yellow fuseable link coming from the solenoid. But WHY would this fuse blow? We went to an Advance Auto Parts on the way home so I could use the ignition system tester and it showed the battery and starter are fine but showed "NO VOLTAGE" and recommended checking all connections and grounds and possibly a new alternator.

This IS a new alternator... Can it be just the wiring between the fan and solenoid? Would putting the smaller pulley back on the alternator affect the amount of voltage output? What else could be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or info you can give :)

~Melissa

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    To draw down the battery to 10V something had to short to ground! Double check all your wiring under the hood. Your alternator is probably Ok, but the fuse link to it has blown due to the short. I don't know how your fan is hooked up, but I'd be looking closely at that. It should have a relay and either a breaker or fuse. I've never heard of an engine overheating enough to burn wires so I'm going to guess the wires burned first causing the fan to shut off and then the engine overheated. All this is just my guess, but carefully go through all your wiring! :)