Question about E85

Discussion in 'Technical' started by RudyD, Apr 5, 2007.

1. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    Well, I don't know about you guys but I am slowly buying my way to poverty at the pump. I am interested if anyone has converted to run off E85 (85% ethanol 15% gasoline.) The price is right, at over a buck cheaper than gas I don't mind the slight milage loss. For me it wouldn't be a issue to have a second carb in the truck in case E85 isn't available. With with my massive I-6 200 would take 5 min to swap out. I will even admit to being a big enough redneck that I can and have made my own ethanol out of my grass clippings (didn't taste very good.)

So my question is, am I to far out on a limb considering the age of these vehicles to convert it over?

2. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i think you'll need hardened valve seals since the the stock ones will dry out and youll also need to run a higher compression. dont quote me on any of that though, im no expert by a long shot. thats just what ive heard

3. PART-TIME

PART-TIME Member

Vehicle:
    Grabber Clone
    i think you'll need hardened valve seals since the the stock ones will dry out and youll also need to run a higher compression. dont quote me on any of that though, im no expert by a long shot. thats just what ive heard

I have read the same thing in the magazines. They say you will need a special built carb. because the E85 will eat certain types of rubber and gaskets. Also they said that you will use alot more E85 than gasoline by volume to go the same distance. I can't see where you would be saving enough money while losing performance to make it worth using.

Ken

4. ChadS

ChadS MacGyver Smoker

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 5.0 EFI
    Where do you want to start the worldwide debate on E85?? LOL! In short, its relying less on oil and making a more positive, environment freindly, cost efficient, renewable fuel source. E85 is meant for high cyl pressure engines, and a carb can be customized in a stock mannor and not hurt it in the long run. Bottom line,, if the vehicle sits for long periods of time, then keep gasloline in the tank, if its an everyday driver, you wont see the deterioration in the gaskets from the dry out from sitting a long time. Any gasket gets brittle and dryout over time, but everyday useage, will be just like gasoline. You will use more E85,,, depends on your cyl pressure in your engine. I recommend mixing it in with your current fuel. E85 loves high cyl pressure, but can be mixed with gas for lower compression engines. Ive ran it for years in bout any engine I have had my hands on, like most say,, there are bennefits, and discredits,,, just depends on how you look at it. JMHO, ChadS

5. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Jr. mbr. not really,

Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, EFI, C4, Posi
    It's just not a cost efficient way to go, thinking the carb and a few other items makes the changeover.
    The cost of the changes by the time you go around to all the things that happen will get to you.
    It's better to raise the existing compression enough to get better efficiency, pay attention to tire pressures and gear ratio and run on the regular gas you now have.
    On the flex fuel modern vehichles, the fuel system is already made of materials for this, as well as sensors that detect the changes in fuel and automaticly cause changes in their computer programs for ignition timing and other operations.
    For you to re-engineer your car for full time use would be at a cost that would take you quite awhile to recover before and net gains are realized.
    Now if it is a self driven project where cost is secondary, then it can be done.
    Some of the problems you will find out about is, your carb is open to air, this causes the fuel to absord moisture, evaporate etc; the tank in not air tight and does the same. Fuel system has to be hardened for long term use.
    New vehichles are all closed systems, fuel injection, hardened and don't have all these malaidies.
    You have a tough time catching up with over 35 years of changes, at this point.

6. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    it may not be worth it with today's prices but who knows how high its going to go in the future

7. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod