Rack & Pinion

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by rachjake, Mar 5, 2023.

1. rachjake

rachjake Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick
    The Unisteer Maverick rack & pinion kit has been available for almost 10 years. I am interested in
    user's opinions, both good and bad. Did 55crownvic ever market his kit?
    Thanks

TeeEl likes this.
  2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    There are many people that have used this kit. Most of them are probably not on this message board. Check on Facebook.

3. rachjake

rachjake Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick
    Hopefully I can get a good response here, I am not a Facebook person.

TeeEl likes this.
  4. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    I know 55CrownVic personally. He used a rack from a early to mid '80s Chevy Cavalier (and other cars of the same GM platform). He made his own brackets and engineered the steering shaft geomety with the U-joints and all that. He was gonna help me put the same setup on my Maverick but I was on a waiting list for a remanufactured rack (they are not produced new) and after waiting a year, I cancelled my order from Sumitt. None of the local auto parts stores had any either. So based on the extremely limited availability, I decided to scrap the idea. I am somewhat interested in the Unisteer, but it's quite a bit more expensive. You have to use their power steering pump, and a mini starter since the stock starter will not clear the custom belly bar. I also am a bit leary of the quick 2.5 turn steering ratio as it may be twitchy. Stock is 3-3/4 turns, and I find the 3.0 turns on my daily-drivers to be ideal. Quick but not too quick...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    mojo likes this.
  5. JL Mav

JL Mav I almost made it to Lake Tahoe

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick, 68 Mustang, 61 F100 unibody
    I have a unisteer and only had one problem. The tie rod ends were for the large taper disc brake spindles and I have drum brake spindles to work with my Wilwood brakes.

6. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    The only issues I have read were from Bryant (user on here) but he runs his car hard. I don't think he named them by brand name but pretty sure is was unisteer. He also ran the home grown version and had issues there too. Like I said though, he runs the car hard, it's autocrossed and he has run the silver state classic with it.

7. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    I can't speak to durability or handling. Shortly after I got mine installed, took the car apart for paint. The system was very easy to install. The little I did drive it, it ran off the 5.0l factory ford PS pump with no issues.

TeeEl likes this.