Rear suspension help (shocks/brakes)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mlover, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    Hello Maverick /Comet community

Below I am referring to my 1974 Maverick automatic 250inline6, I THINK the parts are all stock but I could be wrong. Please excuse my lack of knowledge in advance.

1. Can someone please tell me the purpose of the rubber line that connects to the rear end axle (it is the line circled in Blue in the image attached)? Is this a brake line? Mine is unconnected and the end seems to be damaged shut (not sure if this was done on purpose from previous owner)

2. My rear driver side shock is not currently attached. Truthfully, not sure how long it has been unattached since I never mess with my rear components at all...

Does it attach to the top red circle? I was trying to reference my passenger side (bottom red circle) which seems to fit between two pieces. Is it possible this side broke a side or can I just not see it from my reference photos? the other side does seem slightly closer to the front in the pictures but need some confirmation.

Lastly what size thread/bolts for the shock? Do I need washers, or just a bolt and nut?

Thanks!!!!

Attached Files:

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    The rubber line is a breather for the rear end, just cut end so nice and square, push back onto vent tube and use hose clamp to secure......
    As for your rear shock upper mounting, you are missing the special 1/2" bolt/sleeve/nut that attaches the shock eye to mounting bracket.......look at your RH side, as it is attached and you can see the mounting hardware.
    David

P1010853.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Mlover likes this.
  3. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    David you are a life saver! Thank you!

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    David is the Man...:thumbs2:
    with that hose being disconnected for a while I would service the rear end. that is not an easy job on an 8" rear end. that would consist of...disconnect the driveshaft from the rear yoke, remove the rear tires/rims, pulling the axles, removing the chunk, cleaning out the housing, reinstalling everything then replacing the lube. also check the U joints while the driveshaft is out.

Mlover and dyent like this.
  5. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    If you can not locate your mounting hardware, you probably could put together, using 1/2" bolt/washers etc., but I am pretty sure the shocks eyelet is larger than 1/2" so may have to fabricate a sleeve?
    If you are near a PicknPull and if they have a Mav/Comet or similar car that uses the same upper shock, pull that unit and can use the hardware from that shock or just buy a new set of rear shocks, should come with all the mounting hardware, at least you know the shocks would be good.........
    David

Mlover likes this.
  6. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    I am in the process of thoroughly cleaning underneath my car, so I will definitely attempt servicing the rear end in the upcoming future! But first a little more research of how to properly disassemble.

Unfortunately, not too many Mavericks or Comets closely around my area. However, I did see that 1 of my local autoparts stores has this kit in stock (picture attached). But if this doesn't work, I will probably just end up replacing both rear shocks (hoping they are still good though!)

Thank you both again!! I will attempt this on my lunch break.

7. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    Forgot to attached photo of kit

Attached Files:

• Mav1.PNG
      Mav1.PNG
      File size:
      441.9 KB
      Views:
    dyent likes this.
  8. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    That looks like it would work, for $7 definitely worth a try, cheaper than buying new shocks.........good luck!
    David

Mlover likes this.
  9. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    It worked! Held it in place! Although, I haven’t test drove it yet.

I did try to reapply the line to the axle nipple, but the line was just too old and kept tearing. I followed it, but it seems to go into the frame??? Where does it end? I would like to replace the whole line if possible. Any issue with driving without it for now?

Thanks!!!!

Attached Files:

10. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    The rubber/breather vent tube, just goes into where you see it in the frame, just get a new longer rubber hose from any auto parts store, same as where you picked up replacement mounting hardware for your rear shock. Hose is secured by a clamp/sheet metal bolt/screw around where it enters the frame......
    David

Mlover likes this.
  11. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    It's just a piece of hose for the axle housing vent. It goes through the hole in the frame to prevent water and dirt from entering the housing when you drive through puddles. Just get a new piece of hose the same size and stick it on there...

mojo and Mlover like this.