Remnder: BE SAFE WHILE WORKING ON YOU CARS!

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Rick Book, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    1953 I was working in my Dads shop, had a car up on jack stands ( forget what kind of car) jack stands went right thrur the car, this was in Buffalo NY where they use alot of salt on the roads.

2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Jack stands

Some real good examples here of dad's starting their kids off right. :thumbs2:

Here's another one I thought you all would appreciate ...

In the late 70s, I worked at a K-Mart. This was back when they still had auto service departments. One of our mechanics had a really nice 69 Camaro. He started wrenching on it in the shop on a slow Friday evening and what he was doing was involved enough, he decided to leave it there overnight up on a two-post lift, the kind that has a lift and arms on each side of the car.

When he got back to the shop Saturday morning,
    his Camaro was laying on its side!

One of the lifts had a hydraulic leak, and ever-so-slowly, let that side of the car down. Didn't do a lot of damage, just needed some paint touch up.

3. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    72 Turbo FI Maverick, 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4, 2014 Ford Mustang GT 4spd
    Jack stands aren't the only thing. I've taught my boys to always use those and wheel chocks. Well long story short, my oldest son who is 21 now and works as a mobile diesel mechanic calls me up a couple months ago. He goes, "Dad, hey I've got a problem and I'm in the hospital. Don't tell Mom." I ask him, what happened? He proceeds to tell me how I always told him to use wheel chocks and how he didn't when he was working on this box truck. Well it started rolling and ran him over. Luckily, it was just his leg and he came out of it fine. His last comment on the subject after I gave him unending crap for a month was that he will NEVER make that mistake again! Kids...you can talk to them until you are blue in the face, but do they listen??? LOL Gosh I'm getting old! I guess it's the school of hard knocks for this child. My next one seems to have it figured out, but he's only 16 and he doesn't rebel against authority like the oldest did. He could still turn towards the dark side! LOL Kids, gotta love em! (It's the law, isn't it???)