Two very strange questions. Help please.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jerilyn, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Jerilyn

Jerilyn Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    First question:
    In the morning while warming up the mav, I have noticed that the alternator light sort of flashes on and off, it does this to the rythumn of the engine. Once you put your foot on the gas a little this goes away. It only does this when it's both cold and the first start up of the day. The battery is new, and the alternator is testing okay. Any ideas guys and gals.

Second question:
    There is this strange rattle that has progressively gotten worse over the past few months. The rattle is made when the car is first started and when it is started after it sits for as little as ten minutes. The kicker is that the rattle can only be heard from inside the car. This rattle is loud, I mean really loud. You can hear it when the driver side door is open but from outside the car it is very faint. We have checked to make sure nothing is lose, we have put it on a rack and exhaust welds are fine. You can also feel the vibration in the gas pedal. And yes the pedals are tight. We checked under the dash as best as we could without taking it apart. It also seems to ease up if you give it some gas, but sometimes it will make it when you are in first or are just coasting, but it goes away once you get into second. The mechanics have checked the tranny, differential, and driveshaft and everything checks out. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar rattle or if anyone has any advice cause it is bugging the crap out of me. Thanks
    Jeri

2. K. Merring

K. Merring Regular

Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT
    On the a charge indicator, when the temp in low, a number of things change. The battery does not take a charge as readely as when warm. The regulator setting changes a small amount and the idle speed could be a little on the low side all stacking up to allow the light to come on. Nothing to worry about as long as the battery is being recharged ok.

Can't say about the rattle. Could be gear shift rods. Look at the rear of the engine for somthing laying or wedged against the firewall. Air cleaner can sonmtimes cause noise. What do you have , a 6 or an 8 engine?;)

3. Jerilyn

Jerilyn Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    I have a V-8 but the car originally came with a V-6, someone did the swap before I bought it. Why?

4. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    Your sure the rattle is not coming from the engine? IF you can feel it through the gas pedal, that is connected to the engine. IF it is just during start up, I have seen lifters do that, and rod bearings. Or it could be a bracket. One way to eliminate the possibility that it isn't an engine prob, is to start it and when it is making the noise, grab a fairly long screwdriver with a plastic handle. Put the steel end to choice positions on the block, and the other end to your ear. This acts exactly like a doctors stethascope, and you can beautifully hear the internals of your engine, and eliminate that possibility of engine problems.