Washington State Colby Cruise

Discussion in 'Maverick Comet Club International (MCCI)' started by Mercurycruizers, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Matterick

Matterick Matt Somerville

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302, 1971 Maverick
    well i got my mav back from the mechanic and i'm suprised what a carb rebuild does! :thumbs2: the car runs like its new.:cool: the motor idles sooooooo perfect! :burnout: we had several other things done and i love it! i am ready to go cruising colby :yup: only down side costed $499 total :cry: just believe me when i say i'm gonna be mowing our lawn and other peoples for a long time to pay it off! no more mav parts for me until i can pay this one off :cry: If only i had a money tree :idea:

2. Shaun MAVMOD

Shaun MAVMOD Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 1970 Maverick
    I'm looking forward to this trip to Everett and meet fellow Mav and comet fans I wish my car was drivable

3. Matterick

Vehicle:
    it will still be fun!

4. Grabber71

Grabber71 Milique Toast

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber Maverick 351w
    Robb..e-mail me at: grabber71@shaw.ca and we will figure out where we can meet up for the drive! I am taking the 12:45 to Tsawwassen..so should arrive at the terminal around 2:30 or so...Shaun is meeting me there! Did you get your carb changed? Do you still need a spare tire? Ryan...can you e-mail me also at the above address! Matt...$499...wow...what did they do? You can almost buy a whole car for that!

5. Matterick

Vehicle:
    well somebody changed the car to a horrible defective ignition so we changed it back to points. got the carb rebuilt. trannsmission is serviced. changed the tranny filter. choke tubing is on it. i think thats it, but hey its all for the cruise! i cant get over how good it runs and its like twice is fast! :clap:

6. Shaun MAVMOD

Shaun MAVMOD Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 1970 Maverick
    Colby car show

Ya it should be a blast even without my Mav. Matt Somerville it sounds like your car almost wasn't going to make the show. Its great you were able to fix it in time. It cost you some money but oh well its worth it

7. Matterick

Vehicle:
    it was definatly worth it because i dont think we could have cruised for very long. so far i got one huge new problem. my ball bearings are done! the mechanic told us not to drive everday because there is so much play in it that its gonna just bust out with no warning and the car is going to go any direction it wants and that wouldnt be good. so everytime car bounces up and down theres a clunking sound. i'm trying to negotiate a new contract with my dad of the loan thats increasing very fast! no matter what happens though you can sure count on me and my mav being there :yup:

8. Shaun MAVMOD

Shaun MAVMOD Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 1970 Maverick
    Hey Matt Somerville

Your talking about needing new wheel bearings right I don't think it should cost to much

Good luck!

Shaun Mavmod

9. Grabber71

Grabber71 Milique Toast

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber Maverick 351w
    Unless he was talking about Ball Joints...that can be more expensive...and dangerous if they are really bad.

10. Shaun MAVMOD

Shaun MAVMOD Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 1970 Maverick
    Ball joint Test

Thats True! You should hear a distinct knocking or clunking noise if the ball joint is the problem.And the car might even shake some.You can jack the car up lock the steering wheel and check the front wheels for play in them buy grabbing the tire at the top and bottom and shaking it back and forth if theres movement the ball joint is no good. You can check for tie rod/steering play by grabbing the tire on the sides and checking for play the same way. I saved myself some money doing those tests, less guess work and you don't end up buying a part you don't need. If There's a grinding noise its probably a wheel bearing and the wheel can come lose on the spindle if you drive it to long. I did just that once and had to have my mav towed home it was unsafe to drive.

11. Matterick

Vehicle:
    theres is a lot of play in the wheels.

12. Shaun MAVMOD

Shaun MAVMOD Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 1970 Maverick
    wheel play

Hi Matt Someville
    Thats not good, but its fixable repair it asap especially if the drum or disc feels like their almost ready to come off the spindle then your bearings a completely toast. Mine where so badly chewed up they melted a little and had to be chiseled out of the drum before a new bearing could be put in. Ball joints can have lots of play but the wheels won't feel like their going to come off like with the bearings. Good luck! See you at the show in Everett

13. Matterick

Vehicle:
    well my mav is at the mechanics and their gonna redo one side for now. no worries about making it to the cruise i'll be there for sure!

14. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Hey Matt! Was it a tie rod end? Or ball joint? Glad you're gonna make it. I had some problems with my car last week. The coil went out. I hate when that happens. If Cliff gets here at a decent time on Saturday night, maybe I can talk him into helping me put my MSD distributor in the car. Would be nice to get the MSD box hooked up also. But, I'll settle for the distributor if there isn't enough time to do both....

15. Matterick

Vehicle:
    the ball joints are just completly wasted. theres a lot of clunking around when the car moves up and down. goodluck on getting your car together and ready for the cruise! :)