Western Regional Mega-Meet Update

Discussion in 'Maverick Comet Club International (MCCI)' started by MavMike, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Grabber71

Grabber71 Milique Toast

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber Maverick 351w
    this may or may not help...but when I swapped to a floor shifter in my car I had the same problem. I just turned the column(column shifter was removed) to where neutral used to be and it it started right up. I now use this as a sorta anti-theft device in that I move the column into what used to be one of the gears...and the car will not start. Not really a solution..but thats all I have.

2. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    See if you can hot wire it, that will tell you if the switch is bad or maybe a bad fuse.

3. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    with an automatic the neutral safety switch is on the transmission. try shifting into neutral and try to start it. if you just put in a b&m shifter, make sure the shifter on the trans is actually in park then check the shifter. then put it in each gear and make sure the shifter is actually in that gear. you may need a helper in the car shifting while you lay under the car and watch it click into that gear. if it is not completely in park or neutral, the switch will not allow it to start. make sure the four plug wire on your firewall is still plugged in. grabber, is there a rod from your column shifter still attached to your trans, or is the key just unable to turn if its not in neut/park?:hmmm:

if you guys arent planning on being in reno until two, i doubt i will be driving out to meet you. i want to meet LBR in fernly and see what kind of drag times i can get at 5k feet, maybe embarass a couple of the high dollar mustangs if im lucky.:D

4. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    See I had a B&M Sport Shifter in it already. I just swapped it out for a B&M Pro Stick. I already moved the column to see if that might be the deal and that didn't do anything. Since my car is a 70 and wasn't an original V8 car & my tranny is a aftermarket tranny it doesn't have the switch on it. My next option was to check the fuses, but wasn't sure if there were starter fuses like the new cars where they have starter fuses or relay switches. I pray that is it just a 75 cent fuse. Thanks for the ideas.

5. Grabber71

Grabber71 Milique Toast

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber Maverick 351w
    My car didn't have the switch on the trans also...or else it would have been much easier. The key turns fine anywhere...but in gear(column) it will not turn over...and no linkage is hooked up beyond the firewall. Hope you get this figured out...when you do be sure and let us know what you did...

6. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    Did you try hot wireing it yet?

7. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    what tom said. just turn the ignition on then use a screwdriver on the starter solenoid to start it. had to do that on the bronco when the key switch broke:D

8. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    No, I didn't try it yet. Had to do yard work today. You know, The Honey Do List stuff. I just found out too that I need to pull my axles out a bit too to install my new wheel studs so my new wheels will fit. The fronts will be easy with just pulling the rotor off and puching out the stock stud. I am coming down to the wire now.

9. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    OK ! Only ten days left, who is or who is not going to meet up at New Castle for the trip over summit, matter of fact who is going to Reno at all?, Please reply, thanks, Tom

10. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    Well, I found out what the problem is. It is my new starter. I was talking to Mark from Maverickcomet.com and he had the same problem. The Summit mini starter needs a 12V+ from the battery as well as the lead coming from the solenoid. These starters have their own built in solenoid as well. I gave Summit a call about this and they said that was correct. It would have helped if I didn't loose my instructions to the starter. I should know forsure if I get this pig started. I am heading out to get an axel puller right now so I can install my longer wheel studs.

11. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    I found a neighbor to take care of the kittens, so it looks like I'll make it to Reno. I'm not sure about Newcastle. I will probably leave too late in the morning to meet you there.

Roz

12. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    Wow! Roz That is good news!,

13. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Tom

Tell me again what the Newcastle meeting is. You wanted to meet at 11 am and drive to Donner Summit. I don't know that area at all. Where is Donner Summit? I was looking at a map last night and there's a Donner Summit road in Truckee, about 70 miles from Newcastle. So where is Donner Summit near Newcastle? I probably won't leave until 11 am, so I wouldn't be able to make the meeting anyway.

Roz

14. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    Best I can tell you is Newcastle is exit 115, the meeting place would be the AM/PM gas station (if that's what it's stilled called) it's right off the interstate at the junction of Indian Hill Rd. and Newcastle Rd., You can not miss it.

I don't think we have to meet at 11, but would like to leave there at HIGH NOON, I figure if we get a few folks to show up we can make a nice convoy up to Donner Summit for a photo shoot, I could bring some small AMERICAN flags to zip tie to the antennas of the cars ( to me that would be kinda cool!)

Roz I think if you left your place at 1030 you would be in Newcastle right about noon, just in time!

I do think this is a once in a life time opportunity to be able to do this, lets make it happen!

Come on guys chime in here!

:drive: Over the hill we go!

15. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    But where is Donner Summit? How long will it take to drive there from Newcastle? Is it on the way, or out of the way? What's so special about it anyway?

BTW what is the road through the mountains like? Is it two lane or one lane? Is it very windy and hilly? I really know nothing about this and I like to be prepared.

Roz